Will Sky install?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sparkymark75, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I live in a ground floor flat and had permission to install Sky round the front of the building (I'm around the back). However, when the Sky engineer came out, he refused to install the dish as the cable had to run on the wall on somebody else's flat, even though I had permission.

I had to get a local aerial company to fit it and run the cable. I'm now considering getting Sky+ fitted and would like to know if Sky are likely to refuse the install again? (I'd prefer to pay them to do it for warranty reasons, otherwise I could do it myself)

One other thing, I've had Sky digital for 5 years now so obviously I'm outwith my original 12 month contract. If I get Sky+, will I start a new 12 month contract again? (And get a years warranty)

Thanks.

2. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to get SKY+ and I understand that you sign a NEW 12 month contract and so again have to have your phone line connected to the SKY+ box.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Only if you get it from Sky........buying a Sky+ box yourself and getting it fitted by a local aerial installer won't require another contract.
    I presume you subscribe to some of the premium channels?
    You will get the standard 1 year guarantee from the digibox supplier and if you need any dish work done get the aerial installer to do it.

4. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Sky will only fit the dish on the wall owned by the resident regardless of permission letters. This is so they don't get into arguments when one resident moves out, another moves in, and they don't like your dish on their wall.

However, whilst this may apply to town houses, conversions etc....it almost never applies to flats. In fact, technically, Sky should never accept an installation on a flat.

Why?

In most modern lease agreements, and most flats are leasehold, the lease states you ONLY own the inside surface of the wall. The outside of the building, including the outside part of the walls of your flat, are owned by some kind of residents association. If the association is shared between all residents, you still don't own it as such, because it does not exist in your name! Therefore you pay an annual maintenance charge to that association to paint your windowframes etc.

Jonathan

5. sparkymark75

sparkymark75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sorry, I should've mentioned, it's a council flat. The council "own" the whole building and the individual flats are rented to tennants. I assumed that as the council had given permission and were aware of how the cable would run, etc then there shouldnt've been an issue.

6. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an online conversation with an installer that works for Sky (NOT a subby) in the Digital Spy Forum who said that his team manager told him and his colleagues that they can install dishes near neighbours' windows (just flats I think) so it would appear Sky are more willing to do this. Most probably cos they want the extra revenues it would bring!:)

When accepting normal, standard installations, Sky terms & conditions do say that you are responsible for all consents - landlord's etc. Most councils in my area aren't really bothered.