Will setting Blu-Ray player digital audio output to PCM cause A/V sync issues?

canigetawitness2020

Novice Member
I'm wanting to play Blu-Ray and DVD discs on my Blu-Ray player. I know that the discs have 5.1 sound built into them. I'm wondering if I set my Blu-Ray player to output PCM sound, if I would have A/V sync issues when playing the discs with 5.1 sound. Or, should I set the Blu-Ray player to Bitstream?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I'm wanting to play Blu-Ray and DVD discs on my Blu-Ray player. I know that the discs have 5.1 sound built into them. I'm wondering if I set my Blu-Ray player to output PCM sound, if I would have A/V sync issues when playing the discs with 5.1 sound. Or, should I set the Blu-Ray player to Bitstream?
What are you playing the soundtracks into?
If it's a receiver which can decode and play HD soundtracks (True HD/Atmos and DTS-HD) then the best setting is bitstream. If the receiver or TV can't decode HD soundtracks then PCM is the better choice.

canigetawitness2020

Novice Member
What are you playing the soundtracks into?
If it's a receiver which can decode and play HD soundtracks (True HD/Atmos and DTS-HD) then the best setting is bitstream. If the receiver or TV can't decode HD soundtracks then PCM is the better choice.
I'm just playing the soundtrack into my TV speakers, so maybe PCM would be best. Thanks. Would selecting bitstream over PCM make a difference as far as A/V sync issues go?

KBD

The equipment is available to you, try it.

Pulse1

No you will not have AV Sync issues so just set it to output PCM.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom