1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Sanyo PLV Z2 work with DVI-D cable?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tonynolan, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Tonynolan

Tonynolan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PLV Z2 comes with a DVI-I socket.
    I need to install it with a 7m DVI lead. Problem is that no one makes DVI-I cable > 5M.

I can however get DVI-D cable of 7M from US. Physically this cable will fit into the PLV z2 socket. What i need to work out however is whether it will work.

The difference vs DVI-D is that DVI-I has 4 additional analogue pins connected.
    The cable length question is itself quite complex (original standard for DVI specified max length cable of 5m) but I'm satisfied that a good quality 7m cable should be ok.

Sanyo are finding it difficult to answer the question... and it is also hard to work out whether potentialDVI sources (eg Denon A11 or Samsung HD935) use the -I pins, so I am running out of places to look. Interestingly, computer graphics cards (eg ATI Radeon 9800) appear to have DVI-I out.

The cable people tell me that they dont do DVI-I cables > 5 m because if individuals want to actually use the analogue input, then there are better solutions that DVI-I for that

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i used a dvi-d lead fine (though it was somewhat shorter)

ad

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assuming you're sending a digital signal from a player or PC then yes, a DVI-D cable is fine, I used a 5m one others use 7.5m and 10m lengths just fine, though for 10m you seem to need to be a bit more picky about brand.

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    DVI-D is no problem.

I found 10m pushing it with the Z2, I got sparklies when on everything else using the same lead and video sources I didn't.

Taking it down to 5m was fine.

At 10m I got very few sparklies, so at 7m you should be fine.

I was only using cheap Lindy cables.

Cheers
    Marc

5. Tonynolan

Tonynolan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. This is really helpful. I also managed to get an interesting reply from a US based AV cable manaufacturer who explained how the DVI-I pins, so I've attached his comments FYI

"the analog pins are only used for sending analog signals via the DVI connector, so if you want a digital video connection, the analog pins will not be used at all.

The Radeon ATI cards use the connector the same way - you can use the DVI-I output to connect to a digital monitor via DVI-D cable, or you can feed a regular analog VGA monitor by using a small passive adapter. The adapter just converts the analog portion of the DVI-I connector to a standard 15 pin VGA connector. The driver software automatically senses what kind of monitor is connected, and sets the video card to output the appropriate signal."
    :)