1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will s-video cure my problem???(newbie 1st post)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by camo, Jun 27, 2004.

1. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: hi all!
    Tried searchin but can't find anythin
    I am trying to connect my budget dvd(pacific) to my tosh28ZH36P.
    When I connect through scart2 the picture is very poor and flicking between black+white but when I put it through scart1RGB it is fine.
    I want to use scart1RGB for my ondigi box so do u think the s-video option would be my best bet.
    Have tried most things in the menus,putting through video player,digibox,but any suggestions would be extremely welcome before I mission out to get an s-video lead.

2. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scart 2 will only take Svideo and composite. Of the two, Svideo should be better. You are going to need two scart leads in any case.

3. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd wont work on composite so guess its gonna have to be s-video

4. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart1RGB works fine but I want digi through it
    scart2AV flickers between black+white and colour
    scart3S-VIDEO is still picture in black+white
    scart from TVscart1RGB - digi - video - dvd - flickers between black+white and colour
    toshiba helpline - aint got a clue
    pacific dvd helpline - aint got a clue
    :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Camo,

How many scart sockets are on the rear panel of your dvd player? Also, does the dvd player have a dedicated s-video out (mini-din) socket, and what type of lead are you using to connect the dvd player to the television, a scart to scart or an s-video to scart.

6. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK Camo, as fatbob says you may need to be a little more specific.

The TV has two scarts. Scart 1 RGB etc and scart 2 composite/SVideo. If your DVD is outputting RGB its going to at least flicker in TV's AV2. Make sure DVD is set to output S/Video (or composite) on the correct AV output. Go to the TV settings for AV2 and set it to SVideo (or composite), in line with the DVD output. Try using the scart that worked in RGB.

If all else fails, output composite from the DVD and test in TV's AV1 (set to composite). If that works plug it into TV's AV2 (set to composite) and see how that looks. If that works set both TV AV2 to SVideo and DVD to SVideo and see how that looks. Give us a full report for further diagnosis!

7. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 socket on the dvd and it has a dedicated s-vid but the tv doesnt.
    I am using scart to scart to connect the tv to dvd.

8. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first of all,many thanks for the ideas
    I have just tried setting the dvd to CVBS which is video/s-video out instead off RGB and set the TV AV2 input to s-video.
    The result is a still picture but in black+white.
    Also changed the scart but no difference.

I have also tried using composite on scart1 and it strangely brings up the flickering black+white screen but works fine in RGB mode.
    I have an 5 yr old hitachi 21" upstairs with 1 scart(which I presume is RGB) and it works fine on that.
    I think my next step is to borrow another dvd player and see how that goes on scart2.

9. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One possibility is that the dvd player is still outputting RGB from it's scart, but it's being fed into a scart socket which will only accept s-video.

A dvd player normally has to be told to output either RGB or s-video from it's scart socket. Go into the dvd players setup menu and see if it gives you the option to select which signal you want the scart to output.

If the dvd players setup screen gives the option to select s-video, select this and then try connecting the player to scart #2 and hopefully things should be ok.

If the player doesn't give you this option :confused: , post your findings and we'll suggest another option. :thumbsup:

EDIT:
    I've just read the response you posted while I was typing this. Ermm.... :confused: looks like it's back to the drawing board.

10. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CVBS stands for "composite video baseband signal". In other words, the dvd player is currently outputting composite video which when fed into an s-video scart results in a black and white picture.

On the dvd players setup menu, exactly what options do you get for the scart output, other than "CVBS"?

11. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like this could be the case! :rolleyes:
    am borrowing a toshiba dvd in about an hour so I will post how that goes

12. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VIDEO OUT>>>>>SCART/CVBS or SCART/RGB

13. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the lower cost dvd players don't output s-video from their scart socket, and this seems to be the case with the Pacific.

In this situation, your best option is one of these.

Connect the s-video and left and right audio sockets to the corresponding sockets on the rear of the dvd player, and then connect the scart into the s-video scart input of the tv, and that should be it. :thumbsup:

Your current setup will give you the option of composite signals from your dvd player to your tv, but the picture quality is usually well inferior to s-video.

Let us know how you get on with the Toshiba dvd player. :smoke:

14. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just go down to your local Asda store and get a multi-scart box.

Saw em for about a fiver, you can plug in 3rgb devices then plug this into your single RGB input.

If you have switching problems then get one with manual switch in.

15. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok
    connected a toshiba SD-110EB DVD player to scart2 composite and OH MY GOSH!!!! the picture was outstanding and not even through RGB.
    also tried a 3way scart splitter(through RGB) with my pacific dvd player and the ondigi box connected but the digibox picture seemed very dull and a slight distortion.
    After seeing the tosh connected the pacific is now packed upstairs being lined up for a birthday gift.
    there was absoloutly no comparison when I tried them both through RGB.The pacific was sharp enough but gave a green/orange glow with no warmth.
    I suppose its the old saying "you get what you pay for!"
    Does anyone know the latest equivelent to the SD-110EB? would be very interested.
    Being as this is my second toshiba 28ZH36P and I was now happy with my picture I was a little worried it was a scart problem but you guys have helped me pinpoint the problem!
    Big thanks to fatbob/digiman/gort

:smashin: :thumbsup: :smashin: :thumbsup: :smashin: :thumbsup:

16. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pacific are ok for a budget model but I got a Schneider player from Asda and it's great. Even plays jpg files from my digital camera , even though it doesn't say so in the manual. I usually go for branded stuff but I am pleasantly surprised. The rear connections are for 5.1 surround, optical digital audio, co-axial digital audio, S-VHS, Scart with RGB output and two composite video too.

17. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much you say?

18. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  19. camo

camo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We look forward to helping you in install it. :)