Will room shape dictate choice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fat_controller, May 2, 2016.

1. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Very quick bit of back story - a number of years ago I had a Denon receiver (can't remember the exact model, but it was a nice bit of kit), coupled to B&W DM602 fronts, DM601 rears and a miscellaneous centre speaker. Moved house, then this stuff didn't fit the new house so was replaced with an Onkyo TXSR605 receiver and a set of their 5.1 sat/sub setups; this was only really just OK, then we moved again and it seemed to be really gutless in the new house. Shortly after, the receiver died (blown output stage or two I think) and at the time I had neither the time nor the money to do much about it. We ended up with a Panasonic SC-BTT560 all in one thing (catalogue special, as that was the only option at the time), which is a purchase I have regretted pretty much since clapping eyes on it.

It is now exhibiting symptoms where the front audio channels will just flick off for no apparent reason at random intervals, and the Blu-Ray drive seems to be somewhat picky as to what it will or won't play.

Thankfully, we have a loan finishing next month, so will finally have some cash to spare to get something better, and I am now starting to look with a view to purchasing sometime toward the back end of the year.

So far, I have taken a shine to the Yamaha RX-A850 and the Yamaha RX-A1050, so it is likely to be one of these (or their newer version later in the year), with a Blu-Ray player yet to be chosen (likely to be a Panasonic purely because our TV is a 55CR750

Speaker wise, I have only had brief listens so far and am torn between the Dali Zensor 5 5.1 package or the Monitor Audio Bronze 5AV10 5.1 package, leaning slightly more toward the Monitor Audio's at the moment.

However, our living room is something of an odd shape, so I will need to consider this - not least wtih the Monitor Audio package with the FX rears. Here is a very rough diagram of our room - the dark brown blobs being the speakers. The intended position for the sub is in a recess that is under the stairs. The dotted thing in the bottom left corner is a sofa

[​IMG]

Worthy of note - we rent, so wall mounting speakers such as the rears is not really an option - they will have to go on tall stands; the rear right is situated pretty much beside my right ear unless I place it about three feet toward the French doors which is the other side of a small unit which houses my PC.

So, how badly would the FX rears be affected? Would it be worth having them swapped for more conventional Bronze 1 bookshelf speakers? Or, should I be taking a harder look at the Dali Zensor?

I have a bit of time on my side with this one (as long as the current Panasonic doesn't die completely), so want to do my homework before making a decision.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    Given your sofa is right against the rear wall then the FX speakers are the better option as they will give a more diffused sound in the limited space. More of a concern would be having floorstanding speakers so close to the corners at the front. That looks quite a small space up front which may mean floorstanders are not the best option since this could cause a boundary effect and hence boomy bass/sound. A decent set of satellite speakers and sub may be a better option (also bear in mind that movies are mastered with a sub/satellite speaker set in mind). Also having the sub in a recess is not a great idea as again this can cause issues as mentioned above with the floorstanders.

3. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry, my rotten drawing skills have misled things a bit - the fronts would be sat either side of the TV, but not in any corners, and pretty much in free space. Here is another (bad) drawing that might hopefully make things a wee bit clearer.

[​IMG]
    To the left of the left speaker is the foot of the stairs, that turn immediate right and go up; as soon as the stairs have turned right the ceiling height goes immediately up to the level of the upstairs.

There is a cupboard of sorts under the stairs, the maximum height of which is exactly level with the top of the TV on its Alphason stand. The cupboard is the full width of the stairs, and the stairs are wider than most stairs (3½ to 4ft approx). The area to the right of the TV (in front of the cupboard door) goes back 3½ to 4ft, and is about 4ft wide, before the wall returns on the right hand side to the kitchen door. This is the only space I have to accommodate a sub (so essentially, the sub would be approx 2ft to the right, and 2ft back from the right front speaker.

Whilst looking for the best I can afford, the appearance is also a fairly major consideration (lady of the household) - front speakers on stands are a non-starter, with a sub/sat arrangement being even less popular (the Onkyo setup has left a bit of a bad taste, besides the satellites would end up atop those wee thin/tall style stands as there is nowhere else to mount them).

Assuming I go with the Monitor Audio's, would the FX be best with their back flat to the wall, or angled in toward the room? I must try and see them on stands too, to see how they look with their unconventional shape.

The only other choices with the sub would be to lose it in the cupboard, but surely that would sound awful? Or, move it behind the sofa, nearer the rears - again, would that not sound a bit odd (let alone an extended run with cable thin enough to lose under the carpet edge)?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The sub by the sofa may be a good idea. Given the speakers you are looking at a sub crossover of around 80hz would be used. This would mean the sound from the sub will not be directional so you will not be able to 'hear' the location of the sub. The fx speakers will work best flat to the wall and not angled in.

5. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thank you. I will need to get a closer listen to them and hopefully be able to compare with the Dali Zensor 5 package.

6. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Bit of a belated update to this thread - I ended up going with the Zensor 5 package in the end; it was a very close thing between them and the Monitor Audio Bronze, but the Dali sound appealed to me a bit more, and the finish suited Mrs C. Due to be delivered on Monday, along with a nice new Yamaha RX-A2050 to spur them along - - can't wait!

7. Petehou

Petehou
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just wondering how the sound is with the fr and fl speakers so close to the TV? I've a similar shaped and size room to you and setting up a 5.1 sat/speaker package next week. I don't have the option to place the front speakers a meter away from the tv.

8. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I am really pleased with the sound, and despite the speakers being positioned where they are, the stereo imaging is excellent. The Dali are quite bright by nature, which seems to run in my favour in as much as they project themselves that wee bit further than others might. They match my Yamaha A2050 perfectly - I would go as far as to say that they are the most musical sounding AV amp and speaker setups that I have ever heard. We have listened to our music collection more with this setup in a matter of weeks than we ever did with the all-in-one that we had to put up with for the past few years.

I can't really say how the Monitor Audio's would have been, as I never tested them at home - but, I can honestly say that the Dali Zensor 5AV package is every bit as good as the reviews suggest.

9. Petehou

Petehou
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that reply. Glad to hear your really pleased with your setup. Was just worried about the distance of the front speakers to the tv as I will be setting mine up about a foot and a half from tv. Il be running a Yamaha rxv381 and have just purchased the Q acoustics 7000i 5.1 package which will be delivered on Tuesday. Really looking forward to setting it up.

10. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed - I've been a bit of a fan of Yamaha kit for many years (since I used to work for a Yamaha dealer), and don't think I have been disappointed by any of their kit that I have owned.

Let us know how it goes once you get it all set up :smashin:

11. Petehou

Petehou
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will do. I used to work for a shop that sold televisions,hifi etc etc. Yamaha was always top notch gear and craved by most. I liked the size of the 7000i package and seems to get very good reviews and up there with the Dali packages. Like a kiddy school boy impatiently waiting for Tuesday to arrive.

12. fat_controller

fat_controller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    How did you get on?