Will Resident Evil 4 work on my PC?

Waynej

I have been dying to play this game for ages and intend on sorting out a new computer when Vista MCE is released.

I would like to play the game now though and I couldn't find what the minnimum requirements are for it.

My computer (crap):
AMD Duron 1100Mhz
20GB HDD
196mb Ram
128bit GFX (ATi Rage 128)

I am not into PC gaming at all, so if someone says it'll work then I'll pick up a wired Xbox 360 controller for it as well.

bluem4gic

Standard Member
Waynej said:
I have been dying to play this game for ages and intend on sorting out a new computer when Vista MCE is released.

I would like to play the game now though and I couldn't find what the minnimum requirements are for it.

My computer (crap):
AMD Duron 1100Mhz
20GB HDD
196mb Ram
128bit GFX (ATi Rage 128)

I am not into PC gaming at all, so if someone says it'll work then I'll pick up a wired Xbox 360 controller for it as well.
With those specs no mate. The game won't work. I would of thought you will need at least 512 RAM, 64mb Graphic Card and 1.2 Ghz Machine not to mention at lease 4 Gbs or more of Hard drive space (The game comes on 2 1.8 Gb Gamecube discs) for installation.

You might as well upgrade as vista is coming out in january. Pick up a Athlon 64 X2 as they recent been slaughtered by the new Intel Core Duos. So AMD has slashed all thier X2 prices in half. You pick it up for cheap and plus it will definitely be vista ready.

Waynej

OK, any recommendation on parts?

Someone posted these and I thought they'd do the job for me. I'm not so fussed about a fancy case but might just get it for the hell of it.

Asus M2NPV-VM 6150 motherboard (built in Nvidia graphics optimised for HTPC)
1GB RAM
AMD 3800x2
Silverstone LC17
PSU

My only concern is doing it now. As that means I have to buy XP MCE 2005 and then Vista MCE. So I think I'll hold out for the time being. But it can't hurt to get the stuff in ready, maybe nearer Vista's launch as prices may drop some more.

mjn

Distinguished Member
You need a proper VGA card to play games, and not intergrated VGa.

bluem4gic

Standard Member
If you want to be "vista -ready" and have a game pc which will last you till end of 2008. These are the specs I recommend.

Processor: AMD X2, AMD FX 60 or Intel Core Duos

Memory: Memory 1024mb (1GB) DDR2

Graphics: 256MB(512MB perferallably) PCI-Express Graphic card (HDMI connector if possible as well as DVI)

Hard Drive: 200GB Hard Drive (Plenty of space for your games and downloads)

DVD Rewriter All Formats: DVD R-, DVD R+, DVD RW-, DVD RW + and DVD RAM
Gigabyte LAN

Extras

Soundblaster Fatality Xfi soundcard
Second Hard Drive
Memory 2048 mb (2GB) DDR2
Physics Card: Physics Ageia
17-19 Widescreen TFT
Bluray/HD-DVD rewriter (Not necessary but nice)

I guarnatee if you have these specs in your computer you will be able to run your games set to high easily into 2008. Combined with 64 bit Windows Vista.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I thought the general consensus now was this was a complete waste of time and money?

17-19 Widescreen TFT
It depends on your personal taste I suppose but I would recommend a slightly bigger screen. A 21" widescreen brings alot more to games - the downside is you need to run in a higher resolution which requires more omph from your graphics card. Not a problem though just invest in a decent card. You'll struggle to get one with HDMI out though - they are quite rare at present as HDMI chips are in short supply.

This will bump up the cost by about £400 and won't guarantee you can play high def movies unless you ensure you graphics card is HDCP compliant.

mjn

Distinguished Member
bluem4gic said:
If you want to be "vista -ready" and have a game pc which will last you till end of 2008. These are the specs I recommend.

Processor: AMD X2, AMD FX 60 or Intel Core Duos

Memory: Memory 1024mb (1GB) DDR2

Graphics: 256MB(512MB perferallably) PCI-Express Graphic card (HDMI connector if possible as well as DVI)

Hard Drive: 200GB Hard Drive (Plenty of space for your games and downloads)

DVD Rewriter All Formats: DVD R-, DVD R+, DVD RW-, DVD RW + and DVD RAM
Gigabyte LAN

Extras

Soundblaster Fatality Xfi soundcard
Second Hard Drive
Memory 2048 mb (2GB) DDR2
17-19 Widescreen TFT

I guarnatee if you have these specs in your computer you will be able to run your games set to high easily into 2008. Combined with 64 bit Windows Vista.
ha ha ha....can you see into the future...."til the end of 2008"....wow really?