Will PS4 start to support external hard drives

Not as far as I am aware, nothing from stopping them to support it but they went for the option to upgrade the internal HDD rather than plug in a external HDD.

No reason why they could not other both same as Xbox One could.

With Sony they make it easy to upgrade the internal drive.

You can play media from an external hard drive.

I'd really like Sony to offer external disk support too.

Sony haven't announced anything but the USB ports on the PS4 are USB 3.0 ports so reading and writing data should be quick enough to run modern games (hi-res textures can stream in and load times should be as long a wait as USB 2.0).

I hope they get around to it but as for right now you can easily replace the internal drive on the PS4.

Sony themselves have a guide on how to do it - https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

Plus there are other sites that really have a lot of details on how to do it - How to cheaply upgrade your PS4 to 2TB

If not i will buy all games that come out on both formats for my X-box one :)
Most multi format titles have better graphics on the PS4 than the Xbox One version (last gen was other way around). If you own both consoles, buying the Xbox One versions is an own goal.

I'd really like Sony to offer external disk support too.

Sony haven't announced anything but the USB ports on the PS4 are USB 3.0 ports so reading and writing data should be quick enough to run modern games (hi-res textures can stream in and load times should be as long a wait as USB 2.0).

I hope they get around to it but as for right now you can easily replace the internal drive on the PS4.

Sony themselves have a guide on how to do it - https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

Plus there are other sites that really have a lot of details on how to do it - How to cheaply upgrade your PS4 to 2TB

I ask game about my g/tee if i change my drive over,after lots of asking about i was told it would void any g/tee :confused:

I did think about that,but once you try them both which i have done,i cant find much different :)
Reviews for Metal Gear Solid V & Battlefront seem to indicate the difference is quite noticeable. I've not tried either on Xbox One myself.

Most multi format titles have better graphics on the PS4 than the Xbox One version (last gen was other way around). If you own both consoles, buying the Xbox One versions is an own goal.

Imo better graphics is not everything. I buy all multiplats on Xbox One due to Cheaper Digital Games, Game Sharing, Xbox Live, The Controller and the machine is near silent which certainly helps when you are sitting 3 feet away. I have tried many multiplats on both and for me the features above far way out a few more pixels.

Certainly don't feel its an own goal for me imo

I ask game about my g/tee if i change my drive over,after lots of asking about i was told it would void any g/tee :confused:

Ive been told that in Game and CEX if you swap the HD out you would not be able to trade it in.

Im down to my last 20 gig now and i reckon the next PS+ and the Xmas sales will have it full. Not being funny but even a 1tb HD is enough.

Ive been told that in Game and CEX if you swap the HD out you would not be able to trade it in.

Im down to my last 20 gig now and i reckon the next PS+ and the Xmas sales will have it full. Not being funny but even a 1tb HD is enough.

I have run out of space,going to have to bite the bullet,i think i will need 2tb,an extra price tag on top of the PS-4 :thumbsdow

easiest way around this is , swap out the old drive "but keep it do nothing to it " put in the new drive and play till your hearts content.
if you ever need to return it , just put the old drive back in , no need to add the firmware again as it is all ready on the old drive and all you do is just refit it back into the ps4 .

That is a blatant falsehood.

PS4 is designed to allow users to swap outvthe HDD without voiding the guarantee.

You only void the guarantee by removing one of the stickers that covers the torq screws that openside rest of the unit.

This is in black and white on Sony website.

Also false.

As @sykotik says if you were trading in the smart move would be to swap back the old drive (and factory reset).

Even if you didn't they'd never notice anyway and the buyer would get a nice bonus of an upgraded HDD.

That is a blatant falsehood.

PS4 is designed to allow users to swap out the HDD without voiding the guarantee.

You only void the guarantee by removing one of the stickers that covers the torq screws that openside rest of the unit.

This is in black and white on Sony website.
Agreed ,
tbh i didn't know what the hell he was on about g/tee ? i thought i he was having girlfriend around for tee .

but yes you can and aloud to swap out the hdd for a larger one , so cex are telling sh!te as usual.

It's because they only have two usb, if you have the official Sony headset and an external drive both plugged in then you couldn't for example charge your controller through the console. They won't want to support external drives as it will highlight how inadequate the current PS4 design is with a measly two front facing usb.

It would be great if the PS4 slim gained two rear usb, it won't though all Sony care about is making the console in as cost effective way as possible, adding ports to the design isn't in that game plan.

It's because they only have two usb, if you have the official Sony headset and an external drive both plugged in then you couldn't for example charge your controller through the console. They won't want to support external drives as it will highlight how inadequate the current PS4 design is with a measly two front facing usb.

It would be great if the PS4 slim gained two rear usb, it won't though all Sony care about is making the console in as cost effective way as possible, adding ports to the design isn't in that game plan.
This is a good point actually. With only front facing USBs it'd look a bit ugly with an external drive plugged in all the time. If the XB1 ports were at the front the wife would be complaining about the wires being visible. Only reason I've got two externals at the moment is I can hide them round the back of the TV stand and you're none the wiser. If I were upgrading a PS4 I'd definitely be sticking a 2TB drive in there so you won't have to be swapping for a while.

Thats what i told them at game,but as i said after checking they said if you did it your g/tee would be void.
It would be an lot easier if Sony just updated the PS4 to take external drive,easy :)

Why would you tell them and how would they know?

The screws that you access to open the rest of the console are covered with stickers that you have to peel off, if these are tampered with your guarantee is invalidated. The HDD cover just slides off with no evidence that you have done so.

If I had replaced the HDD I would just put the old one back in and do a factory reset.

This is a good point actually. With only front facing USBs it'd look a bit ugly with an external drive plugged in all the time. If the XB1 ports were at the front the wife would be complaining about the wires being visible. Only reason I've got two externals at the moment is I can hide them round the back of the TV stand and you're none the wiser. If I were upgrading a PS4 I'd definitely be sticking a 2TB drive in there so you won't have to be swapping for a while.

It's a bit chicken and egg argument.

Sony only included front facing USBs as a conscious decision because, amongst other things, they made upgrading the internal HDD so easy. This was also their preferred route with the PS3 albeit it wasn't quite as easy to do it on the PS3, I seem to recall their main reason for this being to do with piracy.

2Tb definitely the way to go. I have over 2 years content and haven't had to delete a thing yet; I've probably got 80-90 games installed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom