Will PS3 browser ever support FLASH ??

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about FLASH support for ps3 ?? Its really sad that its been out for so long now but still no flash support in any of the updates :rolleyes:

Does anybody know anything about FLASH support for ps3 ?? Its really sad that its been out for so long now but still no flash support in any of the updates :rolleyes:

Yeah I know it should support flash, you can't watch videos on it. :devil: Youtube works but that's about it. :thumbsdow

It does support flash it's just a very old version, other wise you wouldn't be able to watch anything on youtube either as that's flash based,

:D currently installed ubuntu and trying to get swfdec to work on it but its mission imposible :rolleyes:

It does support flash it's just a very old version, other wise you wouldn't be able to watch anything on youtube either as that's flash based,
it would be nice if there was option to upgrade it, not sure why they dont give us option to do so

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree, there are certain *cough cough* entrainment video sites that wont play, also normal flash sites...if u go to the flash download site, it says browser not supported....is it a sony or adobe problem?? who has to build it??

Last edited:
I actually really like the browser, but yeah, a flash upgrade is definitely in order.

ya, so are adobe the only 1s who can do it?? cant sony make a flash player 4us??

Wouldn't they need to pay Adobe for the privilege? Licensing, etc.

Flash IS owned by Adobe after all isn't it?

I don't know what agreements Sony and Adobe have in place, but yeah: it's Adobe's closed source code, so in theory only they can compile it into the binary plugin code. Sony have been very helpful in providing open source compilers for the IBM Cell procesor, so personally I blame Adobe.

They can but what incentive do they have to do so? There's plenty of other things i'm sure they're getting on with that can/will make them money.

Adobe get money from the content creators who buy Flash authoring software. The content creators want their movies, etc., to be viewed by as many as possible. The PS3 is an ideal platform for such content - at the heart of the digital home, connected to the main TV and used by most advertisers' target audience - the young. Viewing the web from the living room will become more and more mainstream, and Adobe hindering its deployment will just force content creators to use other software.

Last edited:
:D currently installed ubuntu and trying to get swfdec to work on it but its mission imposible :rolleyes:

it would be nice if there was option to upgrade it, not sure why they dont give us option to do so

The browser on PS3 is part of the firmware and as such there is no way for us to access it to change anything, Flash on the PC is software based that can be downloaded and installed, Sony would have to make the browser a download that is separate from the firmware, but would the average joe be prepared to use up a chunk of their Hdd drive to do that.

IS THIS TRUE :eek: its not april so it cant be april fools :D oh yes baby, i'm the happiest man alive :cool:
wonder if its gonna work with p2p streaming sites :lease:

Adobe get money from the content creators who buy Flash authoring software. The content creators want their movies, etc., to be viewed by as many as possible. The PS3 is an ideal platform for such content - at the heart of the digital home

Perhaps Adobe heard me? ;)

so does it wrk!?!?! i havent tried yet?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom