1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Progressive scan improve picture quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brad123, Feb 5, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Just seen a Phillips DVD Q50 for £249 that has progressive scan at hifi bitz. Will this improve the quality of the picture further to the point it will be noticable on my new panasonic projectors picture quality.

Also is this DVD player as good a picture quality as my Toshiba SD100E I bought 15 months ago as the tosh is renowned for great picture and sound quality.

And finally what is the best way to connect my DVD player to the projector, at the moment im using an s video cable but isnt RGB the best and if so how can i do this on my toshiba sd100e DVD player, is it scart to whatever. Please advise, is RGB better then s video and can i do this on my panasonic.

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Brad,

A few things :

1. Check and see if the Q50 actually has progressive scan ? ..... the european version doesn't seem to have a progressive output. The US model has progressive scan component video outputs for ntsc.

2. Does your projector accept a progressive component input ? Component isn't the same as rgb and if your projector doesn't have component inputs then you're stuffed.

Yes, the (interlaced) rgb output from a dvd player is usually better than the (interlaced) s-video output, although this may depend on how well the rgb is output by the player and handled by the tv.

Brian

3. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On the same note, can anyone actually confirm that the UK Q50 does NOT have progressive outputs? Every R2 model i have seen advertised states it has progressive outs, but various people seem to think otherwise...