Will prices change with the VAT increase?

Reaction score
It'll really do my head in. At the moment Tesco is £349 for the phone, £20 a month, 12 month contract.

Will the price change in the new year when the VAT raises?

depends if Tesco wish to absorb the VAT rise or not, as a starting point, Apple never absorb VAT rises so they will adjust their RRP accordingly; which may or may not have an effect on those selling the phone. To be on the safe side, I would get it while VAT is 17.5%

Or if you have the spare cash sim free from Apple £499 less 2% Quidco at the moment.Then bung in something like a giffgaff sim £10 a month.
Works out a little dearer but your choice of networks.

Hrm, total cost with Tesco - £589, total cost with giffgaff - £619, but do I get another phone or whatever after my contract is up? Doubt it..

Hrm, total cost with Tesco - £589, total cost with giffgaff - £619, but do I get another phone or whatever after my contract is up? Doubt it..

You will however not be tied into a contract and will have a sim free phone to sell at any time.

depends if Tesco wish to absorb the VAT rise or not, as a starting point, Apple never absorb VAT rises so they will adjust their RRP accordingly; which may or may not have an effect on those selling the phone. To be on the safe side, I would get it while VAT is 17.5%

Apple won't adjust the RRP of the phone.

The RRP is the RRP + VAT, which they can't do anything about.

As a simple example, if something was £117.50 inc VAT (£100 + VAT) pre Jan 1st, then it will be £120 inc VAT post Jan 1st.

Only items that are exempt from VAT (some foods, children's clothes etc) won't change in price.

All monthly bills, subject to vat, will go up in Jan.

If you are on a contract then it will mist likely go up.

To be on the safe side, I would get it while VAT is 17.5%
No point in rushing in to it. It will change the phone price by about £7-8 and the monthly charge will just go up with the VAT change anyway so you're not going to save a great deal doing it now.

If you are on a contract then it will mist likely go up.

Hi

I've had my txt from o2 stating the VAT will go up on my tarrif in the new year.

Baz

I'm pretty certain Apple dropped the price of the iPhone when VAT dropped a while ago, so it stands to reason that the price will increase accordingly. I can't imagine Tesco or other big players being any different this time around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom