1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Plasma's be cheaper post xmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NIIK_TT, Nov 26, 2002.

1. NIIK_TT

NIIK_TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of postponing my plasma purchase till after xmas. However since its still such a big ticket item I am not sure that prices will come down at all.

Comet are doing a 24 month repayment scheme interest free which save about £200 taking into account inflation.

Any thoughts???

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I have no doubt that the downward trend in Plasma prices will continue apace. They are still somewhat a niche-market item and are priced accordingly. As prices fall, more people buy, production increases bringing scale economies and prices fall, and more people buy.... Taking a single example, about 12 months ago, Hitachi announced their new 32in item at £5k. This month, the even newer Hitachi 32in item is £2500. Imagine what is likely over the next few months.

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Yes Im sure they will fall, but by how much?

Also the time? Some one posted a coup[le of weeks ago, about the demand versus production. Yes, the prices have dropped, but as yet, the main manufacturers are not picking up their production, so slowly but surely there is a shortage looming on the horizion.

Also, he mentioned, that whilst they will fall, they will probably bottom out at around £1,500 or so.... and the more quality screens, perhasps £2000 or so, in the longer term.

However Icant recall who posted this info, and I think it was his specualtion rather than anything.

Ultimately, like with any new technolgy, you have to decide the point when you stop thinking about entering, and you go for it, and enjoy. I reached that point this month, and not yet looked back :p

Adrian

4. NIIK_TT

NIIK_TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I agree. You can be waiting waiting waiting for prices to come down and miss out on time enjoying the plasma.

I am in two minds.... rear projection Sony for £1300 at Comet or LG plasma incl bits £2800. A whopping £1500 difference which can go towards some new wheels for my Audi TT.... decisions decisions :)

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Admittedly I have only seen rear projection units on show room floors, and they, as are plasma screens have been badly set up. However, I have never seen a rear projection screen that has thrilled me.

Its not just the space, or qualitiy of picture, but also the size issue. Certainly, my opinion is that Plasma screen, is more partern friendly as they take up much less floor space in the living room.

Ive recently bought a Pio 433 MXE, and Im thrilled with it. All I need now is a progressive scan DVD player. My Monitor audio speakers may have to wait a while longer.

Adrian