Will Panasonic Recorder switch on a Samsung TV?

Beeem

I am giving serious consideration to replacing my ancient, fading Panasonic plasma with a 2021 Samsung smart TV.

I have two Panasonic DVD recorders, connected by HDMI cables, which when I switch them on also switch on the TV and tune to the relevant video channel.

If the TV is already on and I turn on one of the recorders, it tunes to the relevant video channel without further action from me.

My query is can I expect the same thing to happen with the same recorders connected to the Samsung TV, or is this facility only available with recorders and TVs from the same manufacturer - or will I have to go seeking the relevant video channel each time?

I'm worried that it may be beyond the capabilities of my dear old other half, so I would like to know before I take the plunge.

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Automatic switching to an AV source on a TV when connected equipment is powered on is a function known as HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronic Control).
On Panasonic TV's HDMI CEC is known as “Viera Link” and Samsung label their version “Anynet”
In theory it should work but sometimes in practice between different brands it doesn't.
Maybe someone with a modern Samsung TV and a Panasonic DVDR will come along and confirm.

Beeem

Automatic switching to an AV source on a TV when connected equipment is powered on is a function known as HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronic Control).
On Panasonic TV's HDMI CEC is known as “Viera Link” and Samsung label their version “Anynet”
In theory it should work but sometimes in practice between different brands it doesn't.
Maybe someone with a modern Samsung TV and a Panasonic DVDR will come along and confirm.
Thank you JayCee

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom