Will Panasonic ever support DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    I am looking for a new DVD recorder. I am impressed with the Panasonic range but their main drawback for me is that they don't support DVD-RW. (I specifically want to make recordings on re-writeable media to play back on my two other DVD players which support DVD+/-RW but not DVD-RAM.)

Why, given that Panny PC DVD writers support DVD-RW do their DVD recorders not? Is it because they feel it will damage the uptake of DVD-RAM? Will Panasonic ever support DVD-RW on their DVD recorders?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    so buy a JVC then range simialr -RW and RAM support!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  4. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Or consider the Toshiba RD-XS32, the more I use mine the higher my opinion of it becomes.

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Do the JVCs support RGB in?

I know that I could buy other makes that do support DVD-RW (e.g. Pioneer, JVC and Tosh) but I am biased towards Panasonic. I have found that I really like the Panny user interface and everything else about the machines (e.g. E95 has 160Gb HDD, iLink and PC slot) looks good except the lack of -RW. I just find it curious that the dvd recorder does not support -RW even though the underlying drives probably does.

UPDATE - Razcak has provided an excellent answer to this question in the "Sky+ & DVD Recorder (RDXS32 or Pan E55)" thread

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    I'll repeat (and expand) it here for ease (and because I'm bored) ;)

There are a number of reasons why Panasonic doesn't add DVD-RW support to their DVD recorders.

Profit
    Without a doubt this is the main reason (hardly a surprise). Panasonic win every way when you buy a DVD-RAM machine - they sell you the initial DVD recorder, they sell you a few DVD-RAM disks (Panasonic make 40% of the world's supply and get licence revenue from the rest), they may sell you a RAM capable DVD player and then odds are you buy one of their new machines.

Now this isn't really 'good thing' - but then this what the entire DVDR market has degenerated into - an unregulated rush for profits - which is why we have FIVE formats. At least DVD-RAM does bring benefits: hardware correction, longevity as well as all the non-linear functions that we have come to love.

Politics
    Not so visible here but in Japan there is a major fued between Pioneer and Panasonic. Pioneer saw Toshiba and Panasonic snatch the Japanese DVD recorder market from them and have only recently clawed their way back to a reasonable market share of current sales. This is why DVD-RAM is totally dominant in Japan and is another reason why Panasonic see no need to add DVD-RW support. It's the same for Pioneer though - they refuse to add DVD-RAM support to their DVD recorders despite the fact the drives powering the machines are fully capable of reading them. Again I don't think this is a good thing at all.

Limited Demand
    Currently more people are buying Panasonic DVD recorders than any other brand - they have about 40% of the market in Japan and the US. All the time they are selling in these quantities Panasonic will simply not add DVD-RW because it clearly isn't needed. The general opinion seems to suggest that most users are happy with DVD-R. It's the same with CD-R and CD-RW - the vast majority use CD-R because the latter is perceived as too much hastle (finalising/unfinalising).

Why The PC Market Is Different
    The PC market is different from set-tops because it is driven by the demands imposed by the OEM market. For example Pioneer PC DVD drives support DVD-RAM, Philips and HP support DVD-RW/-R and Panasonic and Toshiba support DVD+RW/+R. And the reason is because it is the only way OEMs will buy their drives. Unfortunately no such pressure exists in set-tops as the vast majority of the UK 'middle class' buy 'brands' in that market.

I should stress that I wish Panasonic would add DVD-RW support - there are clearly people who would benefit and adding DVD-RW (Video Mode) should be an easy evolution.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    very well put Rasczak personally i love the JVC machines!!!! (aprt from RGB ins) i love the format conversion, and the Disc compatibility! (apart from Sky and cables boxes) S-video is good enough for TV and the new HDD models have great facilities!

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    superior to the panny and tosh?

9. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stangely my £15 Lite-On dvd-rom drive for my PC will read the Pana -RAM discs, my £500 Denon dosn't.

Wish I had bought the E85 instead of my current E50, as I have had the few occasions when i ended up with something on -RAM and have no way to put it on the -R.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Why not get yourself a PC DVD burner and follow my guide? Or you can even pick up a cheap DVD-RAM player for under £60 (Panasonic S27).

11. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    True, but the few occassions i have regretted not having the HDD it hasn't been enough to convince me to shell out more cash, even if it is only £60.

Thats another 6 dvds where I come from :D

12. xavidvd

xavidvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have any question:

this E55 can play back discs DVD-RW ? No Record only Play back

Thanks

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you're going to use a RW disk over and over again, it will suffer from continuous handling, until you reach a point where it becomes unusable. DVD-RAM is available in caddies, and that means that you never touch the disk, so the performance doesn't degrade. DVDRW is nowhere near as good as good as DVDRAM for handling and ease of use.

14. xavidvd

xavidvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick UK:

I ask this, because I make recordings with the PC in Dvd-rw format speed 2x, and i worried to play these discs....

15. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I have an E55 and E60. Both machines are perfectly happy with DVD-RWs burned on my PC (at 2x).

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Panasonic's official line is that the E55 may play back DVD-RW discs, but they don't guarantee that it will.

17. xavidvd

xavidvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok :)

thanks johnjackthom :clap: