Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Will Pan E85 record in 16:9 from SKY?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mdawkins, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am finding it difficult to decide between the Pan E85 and Tosh XS32, can somebody please let me know if the Pan E85 will record in 16:9 to HDD then on to DVD-R from my SKY box as this will help me to decide, my other reason for hesitation is which one is better for playing previously made DVD- and +R discs as I have quite a few (mainly DVD-R) different brands of discs.

Thanks

Martin.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    The Pan E85 will record true 16:9 when recording to HDD. If recording to DVD-R I think it records it in 4:3 squashed anamorphic, which you then just have to widen to 16:9 with your TV remote when playing back.

The only problem you might face with this is if you plan to play your recorded DVD-R back on a 4:3 TV, since it will display a "squashed" picture.

I have a Sony RDRHX900 and that will record a normal 16:9 picture without squashing it to 4:3. This allows me to play a DVD-R on a 4:3 or 16:9, all I have to do is make sure the preferences for 16:9/4:3 on the DVD player fit the TV type.

Good luck,

Tim.

3. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The Panasonic e85 records whatever you feed it with. So if you feed it 4x3 or 16x9 letterbox or 16x9 anamorphic whatever you put in is what it records. What it can't do is change the format; if you record 16x9 anamorphic you can't unsquash (is that the right word?) the picture for a 4x3 tv.

4. AndyLR

AndyLR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the E85 is the same as the E55 then it will only record 16:9 onto DVD-RAM disks (and assuming HDD on E85). When recording onto DVD-R it will only record in 4:9.

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    All DVD recorders will simply record what they're given so if the Sky box is set to 16:9 and the programme is anamorphic widescreen this is what the HDD or DVD recording will be.

What causes confusion is that some DVD recorders don't set the widescreen flags correctly when recording to DVD-R.
    On playback, these flags tell the DVD player the aspect ratio the DVD should be displayed in, so a widescreen TV can be made to automatically switch to Wide mode where necessary.
    The DVD player can also letterbox such a programme for an older 4:3 TV which doesn't have its own inbuilt 16:9 (vertical scan reduction) mode.

I am aware that the Toshiba XS32 has menu settings to ensure that the WSS flags are set the way you want them to be when recording to DVD.
    IIRC the E85 doesn't always get this right depending on the dubbing mode being used.

6. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I've got an E85 and never notice any problems with my Sony widescreen telly permanently set to "wide" mode.

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    The recording will be 16:9 if the source was. The E85 etc will only record a 16:9 flag on RAM so the TV should auto switch, with -R you would need to manually select 16:9 on the TV.

8. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a Panasonic DMR-E85 and this is currently the only issue stopping me.

If I record a Freeview Widescreen TV broardcast to my hard drive am I correct that it will display at the correct ratio on my Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector
    via component when played from the Hard drive?

Will is still play at the correct ratio if I record it onto DVD-R and play that?

On another issue I heard that the DMR-E85 can output anything to progressive component? By anything I mean signals such as Freeview RGB or composite from VCR or even the signal from it's own tuner. Is this correct?

Thanks for any answers.

9. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Teleport - you asked 3 questions....
    If you record Freeview widescreen it will display correctly on your projector.
    I do this all the time with my projector.
    Ditto - it will be correct if you record from the hard drive to a dvd-r. I do this lots too.

What you can't do is record an anamorphic 16x9 picture onto dvd-r and play it back on a 4x3 tv in the 4x3 format ie not anamorphic unless the tv itself can be set to unsquash the picture. But any display device that is widescreen will get the signal it needs.The machine doesn't record the 16x9 flag which is the cause of the problem with 4x3 tvs.

On your 3rd point it can convert any input signal to progressive, I think. Certainly this works with RGB (your freeview box) and it's own tuner but I've never tried it with a composite signal such as from a video. Pretty horrid on your projector I would have thought!

10. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Siameese,

Great, I should be ok on my pj and my 16:9 TV then.

I'd probably archive anything on VHS to CD-R anyway before viewing on my PJ anyway.

I'm off tho pull the trigger and buy one from Richer Sounds (best deal I could find). I'll probably then sell my Sony DVP-S725D DVD Player.

11. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I got mine from Richer Sounds too. It's £100 less now then when I bought it and it was well worth it at the price I paid. You can't go wrong at the price they're charging

12. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've got my E85 and I'm very happy. (recordings from freeview actually seem to look better on my projector that straight from the freeview box (both by component).

What a piece of kit!

The only slight niggle is I need to work out how to watch freeview
    once the timer lock has been set.