Will NAS ever have to be defragged

adriandg

Novice Member
Hi all

I was just wondering if my Buffalo linkstation will ever need defragging. I've go it connected to my router and I only have music files on it which are accessed by my Sonos system. I haven't noticed any slowdown or anything like that, it is just a general question.

Cheers

amcluesent

I'd say not. It's frequent write/delete cycles that fragment volumes, NAS are more write once/read many. It's debatable whether NTFS and ext2 filesystems ever need defragging, but we that's for the OS Forums!

Last edited:

Mr_Sukebe

It's dependant upon whether you ever delete files from your NAS. If you do, the space is logically freed up for other use. If you then write a new file to the drive, it may put part of the new file in the space just freed up, thus creating fragmentation.

In short, it's dependant upon use.

pcavelle

How do you actually do though, since most defrag tools only seem to recognize actual disks rather than entire network volumes?

Thanks

Jamie

Distinguished Member
My Buffalo LS uses XFS as the file system. In general this filesystem doesn't need defragging because of the way it works. (Have a read on Google because its far too complex to explain)
If you did need to defrag the drive (its possible but not normally needed with XFS) then it would have to be done from the command line by telnet to the router. Not from your PC

adriandg

Novice Member
How do you know if ur Linkstation is using XFS as a file system? When I set mine up I just used whatever the default one was, I can't even remember if I had an option.

Also how do you go about defragging from the command line?

Cheers

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Thats what it uses. I didn't select this. but somewhere in the web interface theres a page that tells you this.

Edit, its disc management on mine

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom