Will my UK LCD work in Dubai?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Part_of, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Part_of

Part_of
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Apols if this is the wrong forum etc but a techincal question for you all:

Just before christmas I bought a Samsung 46" 856 (the thin jobby). Love it (apart from the rubbish sound...).

I have now just found out I am moving to Dubai. So my question is, if I ship it across, will it work out there? I am far from technically minded but my thoughts are voltage (prob not an issue), something to do with 50hz vs 60hz, PAL vs NTSC blah blah.

Or are TVs these days made so they work worldwide? I'll be taking the PS3 for bluray and gaming too.

For what it's worth I think the TV in signal will be cable TV (similar to virgin etc)

Many thanks in advance....

2. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,
    Just had a brief look around the ex-pats forums and the general opinion is,No.
    The most quoted reason is our Tv sytem,PAL-i,which suggests that anything with a british tuner in it wont work as far abroad as Dubai and will work in a restricted manner,ie No colour/Sound in areas such as France.
    I can only point you in this direction,really;British Expat Magazine: Home page

I think selling it before you go may be the best idea.

Good Luck,

KH

3. Johnhoe

Johnhoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you are definitely getting cable with a cable box there is a high chance that you can use a combination of scart or phono outs or hdmi outs on the box. As this method separates the vid and audio signals I would have thought that it would probably work in whatever country.. So I would say take the set...

4. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    Hi

I've spend many years travelling overseas and have some experience in these matters.

My advice is to be cautious. If you have no information regarding the TV signalling format used in Dubai then I recommend you don't take your UK spec TV.

Also, TVs don't travel very well - easily damaged!

In addition, I believe electrical goods are very cheap in Dubai. Purchase one there... and a new hi-fi system.... and a new computer....

All the best :)
    Alan

5. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327

I was in Dubai last week and unfortunately this isnt the case. Dubai is really really expensive! They were selling the Samsung 40" A650 (equivalent to our A656) and it was going for about £1200!!! Although this is also due to the poor strength of the pound. 1 pound gets you 5 dirhims now when previously it would have got you 7+! I didnt check what signal type they use over there either but assume with the Samsung being the same as the US version then it is probably NTSC.

6. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    I forgot all about the recent strong devaluation of the pound sterling, basing it on what it was a year ago.

:oops: - please ignore my post and thank you Mumid!

Alan