1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my Sony DVP-NS905MR work in Canada?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malford, Jul 25, 2003.

1. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi, I am moving to Canada next Easter and was hoping to take my AV setup with me.
    I have a Sony DVP-NS905 (multi region) DVD player and a Sony STRB1080 Amp.
    I know i will have voltage problems from 240v to 110v but maybe i can have them fitted with a 110v transformer by a Sony dealer in Canada? can i do this?
    Will my DVD player play on a Canadian TV? or is this model a PAL only version ?
    I know most of you will say get a new setup but in Canada they are still living in the "Black age" , and i love the look of the Silver units we have here in the UK.
    :rolleyes:

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If your DVD player is multi region, there wouldn't be much difference with a canadian DVD player, other than the canadian version (915 I think) has component output instead of RGB scart, and of course it'll have a 110v PSU. There's no chance of getting Sony to replace the power suppy - you could do it yourself if you could find a suitable 110v PSU or you'd have to use an external voltage upconverter. If you connect the player to an interlaced NTSC TV the best you could use would be s-video, and you probably wouldn't be able to play R2 PAL discs from england as NTSC TV's cant sync to 50hz.

3. AndyMorrison

AndyMorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've been misled about the availability of silver gear in North America. Check out these guys for a taste of what's currently available.

http://www.futureshop.ca/

4. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the info. will check the site out 1st thing tomorow,

5. cwoo

cwoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a former Canadian, I'd personally be wary of Future shop, they're in the big-box electronics store category so they carry tons of middle range office, kitchen, av, etc. equpment with inexperienced staff. Just google on "Future shop problems" and buyer beware.

There's a few smaller chains with much better selection, http://www.audiocentre.com/ comes to mind...

(DVD's are cheap there, however its hard to go wrong with those.)

6. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Does this mean that any Region 2 disks i take with me wont work with any NTSC tv?

Can i buy a Canadian DVD player with multi region capability and play my UK DVD's on it, or do i have to sell my whole collection?

7. AndyMorrison

AndyMorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most TVs in North America are NTSC only and cannot handle PAL or SECAM. The major exception would be plasmas, of course, that handle pretty much anything that's thrown at them. Having said that, however, there are plenty of online places that sell mutiregion DVD players that perform PAL to NTSC conversion. If you purchase one of them you will have no problem playing your UK DVDs.