1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my screen bring down my cealing??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dave1de, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am in a bit of a tricky situation.

First of all, the screen is going to pull down over a wall and door. It is pritty heavy and when i bang on the cealing it seems very hollow, so im not really wanting to mount it there. However, the door frame goes right up to the cealing and has a glass pannel in between the door and the cealing. I thought of sawing away the sticky out bit of the frame and putting a piece of wood up accros the wall, just under the cealing, would this be able to hold a screen? Also, the fitting seem very small to hold the amount of weight the screen weighs.

Cheers guys

2. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI dave1de, i have a new 2m x 2m R/C Sapphire screen mounted directly to my plasterboard ceiling using proprietory plaster board fixings,(4 in total) they have held it fine for the past two weeks , no problem.

:D

3. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would try and fix some wooden battons between the ceiling joists and screw directly into the battons.
    Plasterboard is not meant to be load bearing.

Cheers, Beastie.

4. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Somewhere in the ceiling should be 2 inch wide joists at 16 inch centres these will normally run in one direction across the room. once you find one it should be easier to find the rest, you can buy a "stud finder" from a diy shop that will help find them.
    Once you think have found one test by drilling a very small hole (1/16 inch 1.5mm dia or so) to check, the stud finder will also help locate any cables in the ceiling.

Dave

5. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi cheers for all the advice people.

I have put in 2 wooden brackets just under the cealing so it sticks out over the door frame and it works perfectly.

As I already have an uploaded picture of the screen you can see how it is done on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199987

Its on my last post.