• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will my router/switch be the weak link?

devilman9050

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm getting a NAS for Xmas (LG N2R1DB2) and have ordered enough cat 6 cables to link everything together.

So, should I also be looking at getting a new router to make my whole home network gigabit or will it not make a noticeable difference to media streaming from my NAS to my Xbox (noone would buy me a popcorn for Xmas!)

My current router is a Netgear WNR2000 that i got from Virgin when they installed my HD (via fibreoptic), which is 10/100 rather than gigabit.

If I got a gigabit router, would this have any impact on web speed too?

Cheers,

D

psikey

Distinguished Member
Depends on the power of your NAS.

I had an early spec QNAP NAS and even over gigabit I only got around 16MBps (max on 100 ethernet is 12MBps).

I then went for the more recent upgraded QNAP TS-119 which has a faster CPU, more RAM and more advanced network adapter & I was getting ~ 54MBps between two standard drives over gigabit. Now got a true Gigabit router, SSD drive in my PC and fast 2TB WD Enterprise drive in the NAS and I can peek at 95MBps (theoretical max for Gigabit is 120MBps).

Hi all,

Cheers,

D

No. I have a 40/10 connection which is actually a peak download of 40Mbps, which is around 5MBps max (8 bits to a byte). 100 ethernet can handle a max of 12.5MB/s so unless your download rate is over 100Mbps! your fine.

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
With this setup, I can stream 3 HD movies (usually 720p under 10mbps bitrate) to a PS3, 2 PC's, and standard DVD to two WDTV Lives simultaneously! (WDTV's over Homeplugs rather than Gigabit).

But cost is high!

NAS ~£160
WD RE4 2TB ~£200 (In NAS)
Intel SSD ~ £180 (Not necessary but did get peak transfer rate of 95Mbps with this)
Gigabit Wireless Dual N & Gigabit cable router £170 (latest Netgear 3700)

Last edited:

Kristian

Prominent Member
So, should I also be looking at getting a new router to make my whole home network gigabit or will it not make a noticeable difference to media streaming from my NAS to my Xbox

It won't make any difference in streaming to your Xbox because 100Mb is more than adequate for HD streaming to one or two devices

No, unless you Internet connection is greater than 100Mb.

Saying all that, having a Gb switch (rather than buying a new Gb router) or a Gb router will allow much quicker transfers (assuming Gb all the way in the chain of devices) from your NAS to any other Gb connection e.g. PC.

Last edited:

ma10

Standard Member
Like KrisLee says, your current router should be more than enough and wouldn't affect your internet speed or streaming directly to your xbox. You'll only get problems if you tried streaming from your nas to more than a few devices all at the same time.

devilman9050

Standard Member
Saying all that, having a Gb switch (rather than buying a new Gb router) or a Gb router will allow much quicker transfers (assuming Gb all the way in the chain of devices) from your NAS to any other Gb connection e.g. PC.

thanks KrisLee,

So, would i have 1 network cable going from my router to a seperate switch, with all my devices connected to the switch rather than having all my devices connected to the 4 ports on my router?

sorry if it's a daft question, i must admit networks aren't one of my strong areas!

Kristian

Prominent Member
Morning,

Yes, you could do that, or just connect the 1G devices into the Gigabit switch and leave the 10/100 devices in the router's switch. Either will work just as well.

No such thing as daft questions :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom