Will my QED Airlok banana plugs fit the Arcam BFA's?

EliteStu

Hi,

Some of you may have seen my thread that I am looking out for an A85/A90. I already own some QED Revelation cables, terminated with QED Airlok banana plugs. Am I able to use these plugs or would I have to remove the amp-side terminaton and use BFA's?
Thanks. :)

steeled

The DiVA range has standard banana sockets. They do not have the BFA connectors.

Arcam stopped using the BFA connectors when the Alpha range was discontinued. Some of the older FMJ products have the BFA connectors - the modern ones have the normal 4mm banana sockets.

NB: if you buy a new products (or if the previous owner has not removed them) the banana sockets will have a plastic bung in place. This is required for safety purposes. You can remove them if you like.

(I read or was told that the reason that 4mm banana plugs/sockets are not liked by the EU is that you put banana plugs into a european mains socket!)

I think I have this right.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

EliteStu

Thank very much for the reply and info :)
What threw me was reading the user manuals for the A85 and A90 on the Arcam website.
The A85 manual here specifically mentions the unit comes with BFA connections, although I suppose the manual may be out of date compared to the more recent iterations. However, the A90 does not mention BFA plugs specifically. Manual here for the A90.
Thanks

steeled

My memory has let me down :) it seems that the first DiVA products had BFAs.

The A85 was one of the first DiVA products. The A90 came later.

My A90 has 4mm banana sockets.

Cheers

EliteStu

Well, I suppose you can't be expected to remember everything :)
Well, I have just bought an A90. Hoping to collect this week. My first "decent" amp (I hope!). :cool:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Arcam used BFA for a while, and if you purchase such a unit, you will indeed need to replace the QED banana plugs with BFA adapters.

The "double banana" plug (a single connector for both poles having 0.75" spacing) is readily confused with the Schuko mains plug (19mm spacing), so that the specific plug, whilst common in US, is very hard to source in Europe. Since the consequences of a confusion are typically lethal, such a design is in contradiction to even the most basic of safety measures (single banana plugs are readily available). Legislation limits the use of banana plugs to laboratory conditions, but their usage in medical technology is dissuaded (but all too common with electrocardiogram devices). As a result, some hifi manufacturers use alternative female connectors, such as BFA in UK, or insert plastic bungs (which is anyway sensible as a dust protector), but AFAIK, this is not a legal requirement.

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I have a couple of Arcam amps with BFA connectors and found that if you unscrew the plastic bit enough you'll find there is a hole through the post which I assume is for bare wire but it is big enough to just about push a banana plug through. I know as I ran into the same problem when I first came across BFA connectors.

EliteStu

Mark, Timmy, thank you both for your replies. Much appreciated.

EliteStu

Just to confirm, I have collected my A90 now and it does indeed have banana connectors. :thumbsup:

blanco77

This thread should become a sticky to protect peoples sanity when they realise they've just bought factory soldered banana plugs. Trying to explain the sodding pins in your shiny new Alpha Series Arcam is enough to test anyone's tolerance.

hifinutt

agreed , i am perplexed why my a85 has takes standard banana plugs when all the arcam diva a85 i see on ebay seem to still have BFA plugs . I prefer standard banana plugs as i use wbt with 6mm cable which bfa will not fit

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom