Will my new UK TV work in Australia?

acs142

Standard Member
Reaction score
I will be moving from the UK (actually Guernsey) to Australia shortly and I am considering buying a new TV prior to the move. I need to do the price comparison however I expect that UK prices are a lot less than Australian prices. Being VAT free in Guernsey will only help...

That said - I am not sure whether I will have compatibility issues with the digital TV tuner and/or any 'smart' features? Can anyone with good knowledge/experience advise me?

regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Funnily enough, I'm down in Melbourne and returning to the UK in ten days. I sold my TV down here because although from a voltage point of view it will work, you will need an external set top box to view any channels due to different frequencies in the digital tuner. Unless of course you want to get Foxtel (Sky) and have it connected via HDMI. Not sure on the apps side of things, but I doubt it.

Personally, if you haven't bought a TV in the UK yet, don't bother. Wait till you get down here then go to a store called JBHiFi - they are all over the place. If you are in New South Wales or Queensland then look at Bing Lee also. But JBHiFi gets most of the votes down here:

Here's an example of a 60E8000 Sammy: Samsung 60" Full HD 3D Smart Plasma TV - LCD, LED LCD, Plasma, 3D TV - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

Good luck

Nice one, thanks Norman! Was thinking it would be cheaper to buy here however I have another mate in Sydney telling me that prices for cash (i.e. without finance) are much better than advertised.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Yeah, if you walk into JBHiFi with a wad of cash you'll be surprised what they'll knock off the price.

No problem buddy, good luck down here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom