• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Will my KEF CALINDAS put a strain on my amp?

TOM ALLEN

Hi folks, just bought the above speakers, I had these from 1979 thro 1988 and was sorry I sold them. So, I was obviously aware they aren't the most efficient speakers, but until now I didn't they
are rated as 86dB, my worry is will they be ok when used with my valve amp (Chinese Import)
called NAPHON .
Any advice would be appreciated

Tom

D

Deleted member 781788

I believe they are 84dB/m not 86.
Since they have a well behaved impedance curve, the short answer is NO they will be safe to use with your amps.
The sensitivity issues only affects how loud they go, with the few watts your tube amp can provide.
they'll be OK with 25W. even less but they just run out of steam .

TOM ALLEN

Thanks Ken T, this amp will provide 30 watts in Triode mode or 60 in Ultra-linear, so things should be all good; it certainly goes loud and I've never had it above "Ten to" in Triode. I haven't tried Ultra-linear as yet.

Cheers
Tom

D

Deleted member 781788

Thanks Ken T, this amp will provide 30 watts in Triode mode or 60 in Ultra-linear, so things should be all good; it certainly goes loud and I've never had it above "Ten to" in Triode. I haven't tried Ultra-linear as yet.

Cheers
Tom
you are good to go then.
A well implemented ultra-linear usually trades a little bit of warmth for a fair bit of punch !
Do try it.
Triode is fab for vocals and classical.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom