Will my Hitachi 42PMA400E Plasma TV work with Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Grafight, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Grafight

Grafight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm brand spanking new to this forum :hiya: and have a question, apologies if there is already a thread on this I have searched for 20 mins and can't find the info.

~2 years ago I purchased a Hitachi 42PMA400E 42" Plasma TV. It's been working fantastically and I'm still really pleased with. According to the TV specs it is compliant with both 1080i (50i & 60i) and 720P which the Sky HD web site states will be HD formats.

However the TV does not have a HDMI socket. It does have RGB (currently connected to my lounge PC, but I will get a switch if required), RCA, S-Video (connected via Amp to Sky+, DVD and PS2) and Component (Y, Pb/Cb & Pr/Cr).

Is there any way to connect a Sky HD box (and get HD quality) to this TV? I'd really rather not buy a new plasma in the near future!

Thanks in advance.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,878
    I have the same plasma as you and I'm certain that Sky HD will look pretty good in HD using the component connection.
    If you're on the ball, you'll have a Scart to component box (most likely a JS Technology one) to get the best picture out of your plasma.
    We have an Xbox 360 fed into the plasma, running in 720p, and it looks lovely.

3. Grafight

Grafight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stuart for the super fast, useful and succinct response! Great Forum :thumbsup:

4. ABC1

ABC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi there Stuart
    Do you reckon there is an improvement using the rgb/component converter for Sky?
    I have thought about it before, but somehow never really got around to it, Have used s-video, with pretty good results, mind you did spend some time adjusting the picture, and we find that the settings we use for s-video are a fair bit different to the ones for component for DVD.
    Thanks for any feedback.

5. martynljones

martynljones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I bought the JS converter to go from RGB on my Sky+ box to the VGA in on my 7 series Panny plasma - there is absolutely NO difference to the SVGA in my opinion. Ive tried to find good results, but just cant.

If its any help......:mad:

6. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My JS RGB to VGA on my Fujitsu Plasma is a VAST improvement over s-video.
    But I guess you probably have to play around with your calibration and settings.