1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will my external DVD burner fit internally?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by richard plumb, Oct 12, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Its a Sony DRX510-ULK, USB2 and firewire, all formats burner. Pretty good spec apart from no dual layer.

I bought it for use with my laptop, but I'm buying a desktop for normal use, so would like the burner in there. If I can avoid speccing a DVD burner, it would save me a fair bit, and also give me more flexibility in searching for a bargain.

So any idea if I can take the drive out and put it in a drive bay?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    well, some newer mother boards offer a fire wire conection inside the case. If you hook it up inside it should work. Depending on how big the burner casing is it might or might not fit in the same bay that an internal drive usualy goes into.

You could always strip away the case, but that might leave it exposed. As for power, Does it run off USB/Fire wire? Or does it have its own mains?

If it needs mains then youl have to feed the power cable thru an opening in the back of the case.

There may be other ways of doing this so stand by for other peoples replies.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Open it up & you'll probably (99%) find it's a standard IDE drive, easily fitted to your desktop PC.

:smoke: