Will my card be debited ok?!

Applenoob

Ex Member
Reaction score
Strange question I know and sorry if it's in the wrong forums...

Next week I'm going to be re-vamping my whole home office as I've decided that now we've our new house; I'm going to bring my business home to save the fees I pay for office rental and insurance/phone lines/broadband etc... Overall I'll save £700 a month!!

I'm going to be buying, via Amazon:

2012 i7 Apple Mac Mini
24" Acer monitor
Apple track-pad
Apple SuperDrive
A decent webcam to allow FaceTime
An LG Nexus 5 (16GB), case and screen protectors
Various cables
A decent 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz wifi repeater
A 4TB Firewire800 capable external HDD

Overall I'd say it's going to be close to £1k; all available via next day via Amazon etc...

Will there be issues buying it all at once via my debit card or do you folks think I should maybe break it up into different groups etc...?!

I would have thought multiple transactions would be likely to alert the fraud department of your bank than one. Worst case is that the payment is declined and you ring the bank to confirm it was you attempting to make the purchase, they remove the temporary block and you can reorder.

As long as there's enough cash in the account don't see it being an issue at all. I don't use credit cards and have used my debit card for large transactions before without issue.

Thanks

That's what I thought also but wasn't sure...

I'd says I'll just go ahead and do it in one order and see what happens...

Have looked everywhere and Amazon seem to have the best prices around currently so fingers crossed they stay that way :)

Thanks

That's what I thought also but wasn't sure...

I'd says I'll just go ahead and do it in one order and see what happens...

Have looked everywhere and Amazon seem to have the best prices around currently so fingers crossed they stay that way :)

In my experience, the bank will CALL YOU if they think the payment is outside of your usual pattern of spending. If they get through to you, then the payment is authorised there and then.

I've never had any problems at all with Amazon payments, I expect that their security checks etc are considered by the banks to be better than most online vendors.

Graham.

Is it a sexy chatroom you're setting up? :)

I thought there were a lot off issues regarding running a business from a home address? As it isn't a commercial property. Also, stuff like 'regular' insurance etc.

I know your not asking about the tech but with buying a 2012 mini, id get a USB3 4tb external rather than firewire. It'd be a whole lot quicker than firewire! ;)

I cant see any reason that you'd have any issues. Ive spent a couple of K's on gear before on debit cards. both online and in-store Ie Apple..

If you are worried just call the bank before you place the order. They can temporarily allow anything to go through.

I have done that a couple of times when buying cars.

If you are worried just call the bank before you place the order. They can temporarily allow anything to go through.

Thanks; good idea!

I'll speak to my account manager tomorrow :)

Is it a sexy chatroom you're setting up? :)

I thought there were a lot off issues regarding running a business from a home address? As it isn't a commercial property. Also, stuff like 'regular' insurance etc.

No issues at all; insurance was only for office contents whilst renting the office; not much but still worth having!

Home insurance takes into account me running a business from home and covers all that's needed :)

Plus as it's only me and I won't be having anyone at my house; it's fine to run it from home

And no, it's not a chat room haha ;)

I called my bank when I bought a car last year to pre-authorise the transaction. They still called me to authorise the payment though.

Graham.

I was in Malaysia a few years back and despite telling the card company I was there they called after every transaction.

I bought a new car in February, I forgot to pre-authorise but it went through fine, that worried me a bit.

To the OP, if it is uncharacteristic spending then the algorithms the banks have working on your cards should pick it up.

Thanks folks.

I'm sure it'll all go fine :)

Will update this time next week hopefully

I bought a new car in February, I forgot to pre-authorise but it went through fine, that worried me a bit.

My bank (HSBC) is a pain in the rear for things like this, I've done a couple of car transactions in the last 2 years, one 10K and the other about 5 or so, no call or anything, but I've had my card blocked and transactions refused when spending a couple of quid in Sainsbury's before now.

My bank (HSBC) is a pain in the rear for things like this, I've done a couple of car transactions in the last 2 years, one 10K and the other about 5 or so, no call or anything, but I've had my card blocked and transactions refused when spending a couple of quid in Sainsbury's before now.

Had that before too; bought a few things in shops in town, did some shopping at Waitrose and then went to pay for some car parts via eBay and they all got refused!

The day before I spent close to £2k on a hifi system from Sevenoaks and that went through with no issues!

Daft...!

It's not just the amount you spend, it's the pattern of spending and locations too. I've had to deal with loads of Police enquiries when stolen cards have been used in our shops, and seemingly Johnny Fraudsters often use the same tactics!

If you made too many transactions under shop floor-limits it often used to trigger a check. Same if you bought something expensive then something smaller (which could be a dodgy type seeing if the card had been cancelled yet) then something expensive again. If you bought something in the morning then travelled somewhere, you'd maybe get a call to check it was you.

My missus recently had a check when buying a necklace, but no check when she bought a car! I wish they'd checked when someone in Bulgaria bought £6600 worth of taxi tyres on my card :mad:

I had someone use my credit card in a different country, who gave the wrong name, wrong address and the transaction took me £900 over my credit limit.

Also I hadn't used the card for 2 years. That went through! Well done RBS.

I've had my debit card straight up cancelled 3 days before Christmas. That was a pain! Last time I got a call was from Barclaycard as I had booked some flights, but because the airline was foreign the transaction went through in that country.

My personal favourite was with HSBC who cancelled my card leaving me with no cash or means to purchase a train ticket home.

The operator asked where I was and I said “On the Isle of Dogs”, her reply was “Oh, you are on holiday, can you get to the embassy!”

I refuse to give an answer in a thread which is just a glorified way of letting people know what they are going to buy.....

I too am wondering if my debit card will go through on my new Audi Q7 S Line with Verano leather Upholstery, 21" alloy wheels and full parking aid system and Titanium finish. :p

Personally I wouldn't admit to owing/wanting an Audi Q7 ;) :p

Credit Card payment for my last couple of Lamborghini's went through OK!

Graham.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom