1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my amp run these?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by matblack, Aug 5, 2003.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys

Need some help because I am really struggling to get my head around the impedenece of my speakers and if they will work properly with my amp.

I have a new Marantz SR4200 and the following speakers

Kef Q30 fronts 6ohms
    Kef 70S rears 6ohms
    Kef Q95C centre 4ohms

(all figures lifted from the Kef site)

What I really need to know is can I just cable these up to the Marantz, set up the speaker sizes in the menu and let rip or have I made a fundamental error having speakers which don't have matched impedences and an amp which says 8 ohms!!!!?

The Marantz 'says' it outputs 70W @ 8ohms but it seemed to handle the Q30's OK when I tested i just with them, I hope that bodes well!

(sorry this is also posted in the speaker section but I am very worried I have a load of expensive components which won't work together!)

Any advice gratefully recieved

Matt

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The fronts and rears should be okay as long as you don't go mad with the volume control. That centre is a bridge too far IMO. :( Also I think I read somewhere recently that the Q95C is a bit of a dud - I could be wrong??

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Nobber

I might be in luck if its a Q95C.2 which is spec 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm, I'll check when I get it. If not I'll sell it on ebay and get a 100C but at the moment I just can't run to one of those.

Your right some people don't rate the Q95C but it matched the rest of my speakers being a UniQ speaker and also this is my first departure into home cinema so I'll be able to start on the great path of upgrading.

Any idea what the symptoms will be if the system can't cope with the 4 ohm speaker? Will be be able to tell straight away? Bear in mind that I won't be turning the system up 'very' loud as our room is quite small.

Cheers

Matt

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Er, probably not. You may notice the amp is sounding a bit strained as the volume increases, but nothing obvious. The amp may shut-down into a "safe" mode to protect itself. Medium-term, you'll destroy the voice coils on the centre speaker and it will be useless.

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok

Looks like I will be on the look out for a 100C sooner rather than later then. If the Q95C is bad I might run it to destruction and then invest in something else. I want to keep the continuity of having KEF all round though and can't run to a 200C, nor do I have the space.

Cheers for the advice

Matt