Will more ram make much difference to windows 10 machine?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Stuart Wright, May 6, 2016.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,547
    Hi folks,
    I have a 64 bit windows 10 machine with 4 x 4GB DIMMs at the moment. The maximum capacity is 32GB. Is it worth spending £120 on four 8GB modules? Will it make my PC noticably faster?
    I regularly create videos using Adobe Premier, I play Star Wars Battlefront and I have lots of browser tabs/windows open simultaneously.
    Any advice you can give is appreciated.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    It'll make a huge difference if you're using more memory than you have, and none at all if you're not. There's not much middle ground with memory capacity. Keep an eye on task manager when the system is slow, if the commit amount is over 16GB and physical memory use at 90-95%+ then more memory will help.

Star Wars Battlefront won't use anything like 16GB. The other two I can't say for sure, but 16GB is a large amount so you'd have to be using them is a much more demanding way than a lot of users to exceed that.

3. shaz2sxy

shaz2sxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As above, check what your memory usage is now and if it is high then yes upgrade. The only thing that might beneift would be Adobe Premiere

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,347
    Can't speak for Adobe, but for gaming I have never seen any game, regardless of how high the settings are get close to using all of my 8GB, so as you have 16GB already, for gaming alone the upgrade is not worth it.

Have you got a memory usage program that you can have open when you do your normal activities? This will show you what your actual usage is and give you an indication of whether you ever get close to using all of your 16GB.