Will mixing Monitor audio 500 standmounts with new Silver C250 7G be sonically ok?

AndyCalvert

Hi, I bought a 7.1 speaker package for a very good deal last Friday, due to be delivered tomorrow. Its the old Monitor Audio silver 500 av pack as below:

SILVER500HGB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK 1050.001.001050.00
SILVER2FXPB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER REAR SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK 300.004.001200.00
SILVER2W12PB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER SUBWOOFER IN GLOSS BLACK 700.001.00700.00
DPD - dpd for 4/2/22 afternoon delivery 10.001.0010.00
SILVERC350PB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER CENTRE SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK 240.001.00240.00

I wanted it in gloss black which wasn't available as a package so a bit of bartering was needed. But they have just rang to say its been shipped but they didn't have any Silver C350 left in stock in gloss black so have upgraded me to the new one. I said OK, didn't want to loose the package at the above price. On looking I presume they are going to send me a C2507G which seems the largest one out of the new range (a lot smaller than the C350 by the looks) which looks the same but will it match the previous ranges fronts sonically , thats what I am worried about. What are peoples opinions?
I suppose I could sell it and buy a C350 off someone with one in stock if need be as its about £150 cheaper atm than the one been sent but if the opinion is the sound will be all over I wont even open the box then I should get more back for it if I need to move it on.

Looking forward to any opinions, thanks Andrew

password1

Suspended
I would consider selling the silver 500 6g (you'll probably get more if its still new and not used) and buy silver 100 7g or silver 200 7g to match the new centre.

Could you ask the dealer if they can do any discount on the new 7g as you've already bought the rest of the speakers with them.

AndyCalvert

One of the main reasons for choosing the package was the highly rated and highly discounted 500 6g floor standing speakers. I also use the front speakers of my AV system for my hi-fi. (currently have Roksan Caspian M2 CD/Integrated/Power and clear audio concept deck) which apparently go together well with Monitor Audio equipment. Bit of a ball ache swapping banana plus around but thats what I have to do. So want the more powerful fronts.
I can sort of take from your post you don't think they will match? Wasn't sure how different they are. Was looking for by anyone in the know an either well done you have got yourself a great free upgrade they will sound fine or a no they wont match you need a C350. Ail keep the C250 if they do match. Otherwise I see Richersounds still have the gloss black C350 in stock for £350. I will ask if Peter Tyson will give me the £350 back for the C250 (seem to be retailing for £600) or flog it privately, sure I can recoup the £350 on an unopened box item. Thanks Andrew

password1

Suspended
Im sure a 7g centre will be ok with 6g fronts but im assuming 7g fronts are a better match than 6g.

I don't think the silver 200 7g will struggle. You could also try using a sub for music.

Alternatively if you can't decide, perhaps put both the 500 6g and 7g centre up for sale and let whichever is sold help you decide.

AndyCalvert

Umm ok, my only two options are keep the C250 or sell and buy C350. The rest is staying. Just canvassing opinion before I open the box tomorrow afternoon. Just wasn't sure on the tonal difference between the 6g and 7g. Hoped someone would see this that has had experience with these speakers. Thanks for the help Andrew

password1

Suspended
Personally I would go for the 6g centre if you're keeping the 6g 500. If keeping the 7g centre I would go for 7g fronts.

anden2000

Novice Member
Those 500's are fantastic speakers.

I wouldn't worry about tonal difference. I haven't heard the 7th gen but several other speakers including Silver models, and can't imagine that your generation mix would be noticeable.

If anything, I'd think the C250 being a smaller speaker has less of a full range than the C350, which might be noticeable in male voices. Smaller center speakers certainly tend to have smaller sound, and the difference between the C350 and the older, even smaller Silver center is highly noticeable. It would be nice to see measurements to confirm or disprove a C350-C250 difference, or a testimony from someone who listened to both models side by side, but I haven't seen anything such.

famasfilms

Banned
Hi, I bought a 7.1 speaker package for a very good deal last Friday, due to be delivered tomorrow. Its the old Monitor Audio silver 500 av pack as below:

SILVER500HGB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK1050.001.001050.00
SILVER2FXPB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER REAR SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK300.004.001200.00
SILVER2W12PB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER SUBWOOFER IN GLOSS BLACK700.001.00700.00
DPD - dpd for 4/2/22 afternoon delivery10.001.0010.00
SILVERC350PB - MONITOR AUDIO SILVER CENTRE SPEAKER IN GLOSS BLACK240.001.00240.00

I wanted it in gloss black which wasn't available as a package so a bit of bartering was needed. But they have just rang to say its been shipped but they didn't have any Silver C350 left in stock in gloss black so have upgraded me to the new one. I said OK, didn't want to loose the package at the above price. On looking I presume they are going to send me a C2507G which seems the largest one out of the new range (a lot smaller than the C350 by the looks) which looks the same but will it match the previous ranges fronts sonically , thats what I am worried about. What are peoples opinions?
I suppose I could sell it and buy a C350 off someone with one in stock if need be as its about £150 cheaper atm than the one been sent but if the opinion is the sound will be all over I wont even open the box then I should get more back for it if I need to move it on.

Looking forward to any opinions, thanks Andrew

The 7g c250 is a bit more than £150+ than the 6g c350. It's going for like £599 so if they gave you a free upgrade you got a pretty good deal

I recently got the Silver 500 7g via extreme luck on eBay (half price) svc got the 6g centre to go with it as £250 cheaper

I was thinking whether I should have got the 7g to match but I doubt there's any significant difference worth £250.

The reality is that the c350 is HUGE, and they've probably downscaled it just to make it easier for people to accomodate

Last edited:

AndyCalvert

Well it sounds fine to me so its a keeper. Also on the above prices I presumed the rears come in one speaker per box. But they come in two. So I have 2 unopened boxes to take back for a £600 refund. Definitely got a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom