1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Mission 753s cut it in A/V set-up?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vipen, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have my trusty Mission 753s which i still love. The thing is, i've had them from new and there are so many other speakers coming out now which seem to form a good basis for a surround set-up.

The 753s aren't magnetically shielded but are far enough from the TV. But are they good enough for A/V too. Alot of A/V speakers sound sharp, is this because of their design or the amp running it?

AND, if they would be ok, what the hell can i buy which would match them well enough for a surround set-up. Let's assume i can't find the corresponding surround speakers from the time.

Thanks for any advice, sell up or incorporate ok?

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 753's are more than capable for AV. Try to find a second hand Mission 75C centre speaker (there should be a few about) as this should be a pretty good tonal match.

For rears, you might find a pair of 751's second hand or simply use a pair of Mission bipoles (7DS, 77DS etc). Either will do the trick.

Matt.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still very fond of my 753s too, they are the mains in my AV setup since new (couple of months before the freedoms were launched). I remember at the time trying the matching Mission speakers but I didn't think they were very good. Certainly I remember the center being bad and I ended up buying a Kef90 instead and keeping my Celestian 7mk2 for rears.

The reason alot of AV speakers sound 'sharp' is they expect you to use a subwoofer for low freq, so the other speakers don't have to. The 753s however can go fairly low on there own so I've only just got around to ordering a sub this week! :)

I am however stuck with the same problem as you at the moment, in that, although a good speaker, the Kef90 doesn't match the tone of the 753s properly so I am looking for a replacement and possibly another two surrounds for a 7.1 setup.

If I could get rid of the TV I'd get some 2nd hand 753s and use them all around but my room isn't a dedicated HT so I need the TV. However I am keeping an eye on Ebay for a pair to use as surrounds.

If you find a good matching center let me know, I'm going to do some local demoing soon and I'll post anything I find worthy.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Having tried various centre speakers, I ended up settling on three pairs of 753, this works great for films, TV and SACD / DVD-A.
    No intention of " upgrading " them. :cool:

5. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would like to declare an interest here as I am selling in the classifieds two (2) Mission 75C centre speakers.

I have to disagree about Missions centres being bad. I did a lot of listening to various makes of speakers before I bought my setup, Mission 752's and 75 C's. My impressions of the 75C were very positive. Even more so when I used two as twin centre speakers !

The Kef is a good speaker but when I listened to it there was no way it would blend with Missions (to my ears) it was just too different sounding.

regards

Parmenion

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact reasons for not getting the Mission centre (I presume it was the 75C I tried).

May have been price related too as I was on a rather tight budget at the time (anyone remember the 75C and Kef90 prices back then?). :)

Going to try some freq analysis on my speakers shortly so I may find a better EQ setup (and why there seems to be a differance in my left/right pink noise ): ).

I shall keep an eye out for a local 75C and give it another go if possible.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    The RRP of the 75c when it was released was £250, had mine for 5 years before selling it, and replacing with a 77c1 (to match my 775es and 77ds surrounds). Worst mistake I made really:( Personally I thought the 75c was superb, but frankly you can't beat LCR all being the same speaker...

8. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hi parmenion, i haven't decided what to do yet but how much did you want for the 75c? you have two?? must take alot of space up at the front of the tv.

9. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello, they are for sale at 100 pounds each plus p and p. They are in excellent condition with their original boxes.

I had one on top of the tv and the other in the tv stand below it.

The power and clarity of the sound perfectly matched the 752's I had running alongside them.

Have to agree with Smurfin, we are talking about a quality speaker made by people with great experience in av.

regards

Parmenion