Will MicroLED fix OLED’s dismal motion resolution?

Drooch

Established Member
Reaction score
I can‘t bring myself to ditch my Kuro for an OLED because I value good motion resolution. Will MLED be able to match Plasma or even CRT motion resolution?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the motion on my Panny OLED, FZ802, just as good as the old Panny plasma, VT65.

OLED technically has half the motion resolution of plasma, and many users find it noticeably worse in practice, like this guy:

It is important to understand that the only reason why plasma has a higher motion resolution than OLED (and LCD) is because plasma "flickers" i.e. each frame is flashed for a brief period and for the rest of the time the screen is black. I loved my Panny plasmas (GT50 and the last model year the GT60 range) but I never really got on with the plasma flickering issue. (Many people do not notice it though.)

OLED and LCD on the other hand are sample and hold. They display each frame continuously until the next frame is displayed. Sample and hold results in lower perceived resolution by the human eye - around 300 lines due to eye tracking motion blur.

However, it is important to understand that if you were to examine each individual frame from an HD source on both a plasma and OLED then each one will have exactly the same full 1080 lines of resolution. Each display is displaying exactly the same resolution per frame. The issue is that displaying a fixed image for the full duration of the frame interacts witht he way that the human perception system works resulting in motion blur.

OLEDs can mimic plasma flickering using black frame insertion - i.e. instead of showing each frame for its full duration for some of that time display a black screen. This has two disadvantages. Primarily it reduces brightness. This is one of the reasons why plasmas were so much dimmer than todays displays and could never have displayed effective HDR. Secondly if the BFI is too aggressive then it results in noticeable flicker.

Here is a good example of motion blur.

Every frame on your display shows white bars with black gaps. You can see this more easilly looking at the stationary UFO. However, if you follow the moving UFO with your eyes you see a grey background with black squares. NOTE - your display is not ever showing this grey - it is your eyes creating the grey background by bluring the black and white lines together.

If watch the above UFO test on my Sony ZD9 with BFI turned up to max then they grey completely disappears and I see only static black and white lines - with gaps in the white lines moving across the screen - which your eye normally blurs into squares. Unfortunately at this level of BFI while the motion is essentially "perfect" - the screen is dim and flickery.

BFI can be implemented with Micro LED too. As the BFI is increased the motion resolution will increase but the image will become dimmer and will start to flicker.

It's the fact that you're seeing a static image when the brain expects it to have moved that causes the perceived blur compared to the same scene in reality

BFI solves that because the brain interprets darkness more favourably than wrong data.

But it could also be solved by increasing the frame rate. Liquid crystals are a fairly sluggish material so more widespread adoption of emissive LED displays (organic or not) will make higher frame rates more practical on the display side. Obviously you've still got the higher bandwidth and storage requirements and the need for suitable camera technology to capture it.

I can‘t bring myself to ditch my Kuro for an OLED because I value good motion resolution. Will MLED be able to match Plasma or even CRT motion resolution?

Thanks.

I upgraded from plasma and motion was my biggest concern too. My Sony OLED is leaps and bounds above the plasma on every level though fortunately (except watching SD tv).

With a little tinkering of the motion settings it's very easy to find a happy medium.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the motion on my Panny OLED, FZ802, just as good as the old Panny plasma, VT65.

You need to do a proper comparison.. for video yes an OLED looks amazing, and honestly I do prefer it over my VT60 plasma, but for motion the plasma demolishes it. Just fire up the blurbusters site and watch the UFO begin to blur at just 240 pixels per second.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom