Will matrixed audio recorded with Pro-Logic II soundstages decode optimally in Neo:6?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ianjm, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This is a bit of a toughie, I suspect, and on the edge of my own knowledge, so I might have some of the details incorrect.

Baaaasically: the way I understand it, Pro-Logic II(x) and its ilk are intended to produce 'decent' surround effects from most basic stereo sound tracks, but also some recordings are 'made' in Pro-Logic II: i.e. they are aware that Pro-Logic receivers are going to be used to decode the audio, and so hide the center and rear surround channel(s) in the left/right audio tracks using clever out-of-phase trickery and so on which Pro-Logic II decoders can understand.

Is this correct?

Neo:6 is a similar system from DTS, and also seems to give reasonable results when listening to a basic stereo track. But, what happens if you apply Neo:6 to a recording 'made' in Pro-Logic, as above? Will Neo:6 be able to extract the out-of-phase rear channel from the Pro-Logic II matrixed stereo as effectively as Pro-Logic II itself? Will it even try? Can recordings also be made on some kind of special 'Neo:6' soundstage?

How do you tell which one to use when you're watching Freeview/Sky/Virgin? Whichever sounds best?

Please feel free to critique my understanding of PLII, if it's wrong, as well as answering my question! :D

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd always go with the whatever sounds best answer regardless of technological explanation...heh

Far as i know you can just go ahead with Neo:6 on a DPL encoded source.....altho go with Neo:6 Movie rather than music....the difference being is that Movie will behave more like DPL Movie does, Neo:6 Music iirc actually uses the source in stereo through the main stereo channels and then mixes in the centre and rears, whereas Neo:6 Movie behaves like PL and begins with the centre and then pans out from there.....unless things have changed since my Denon 3803 days, in which case im sure someone will correct me...lol

3. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    I've always liked DPLIIx, but since I got an amp with Neo:6 I found I preferred the latter. IMO Neo:6 is a slightly more aggressive decoding format than DPLIIx, producing more noticeable rear channel effects. Whether this is true to the source who can say, but I sure do enjoy it more.

Just recently I watched Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ('78) and the audio is DD2.0, encoded for Dolby Surround. Decoded with Neo:6 there were a few moments of discrete rear-channel effects, notably one bit where a pod scream went from rear-left to rear-centre. I actually looked over my shoulder, surprised as I was by the quality of the effect. But with DPLIIx the rear sound stage was very diffuse, and said scene wasn't nearly as involving.