Will it work ??????????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skidmark83, Dec 22, 2004.

1. skidmark83

skidmark83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone reassure me that I have not just wasted a load time.

I have just finished dubbing some DV camcorder film messages onto a DVD-R using my Panasonic E95 for the first time. (very impressed with editing features). The DVD is being taken to a friend in Canada tommorow by one of his relatives. I have finalized the disc and tried it on another DVD player and it is fine. Do you know if this will be playable over there ????
    I know there are PAL/NTSC issues with video tape, I just hope DVD's are compatable.

Any advise would be much appriciated, even though its too late now to change it.

Cheers

Mark

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    His set-top DVD players will not be able to play the disc as it is in PAL format (there machines generally only support NTSC). If he has a PC DVD player (such as WinDVD) he will be able to play the disc on his PC though.

PAL/NTSC issues are still an issue with DVD!

3. skidmark83

skidmark83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JamesL, Thats not what i really wanted to hear, but was kind of expecting.
    I did try the DVD on my PC (old version of WinDVD 2000) and it came up with an error message ' Windows does not support this format'
    Is that because its out of date ??

4. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I don't have any experience with WinDVD 2000 but as new versions certainly will play PAL DVDs regardless of the location of the PC then I would assume it must be a limitation of the old software - 2000 was fairly early days for software MPEG2 playback.

Note that you can download free, time limited trials if you just want to play this one DVD.

5. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WinDVD 5 supports VR mode DVD playback. Otherwise you need to record in Video mode which will create a normal compatible DVD. Also you must make sure you finalize your recordings for maximum compatibility.

6. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    He is recording to DVD-R - the Panasonic (or any other current UK DVD recorder) only allows you to record in Video mode on this format.