1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will It Work? Need Answer Quick!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by drdaredevil, Jun 9, 2004.

1. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I am new to all this home audio shabang. Anyways, I have in my bedroom a Philips stereo. I like to blast the music really loud and I am all about the bass. My buddy wants to sell me his subwoofer (never opened) for really cheap because he lost the receipt and doesn't want it anymore. Click HERE to see a link to bestbuy that displays the same exact sub... The problem is that my stereo head unit does not have a sub out. I have an extra set of speaker inputs and I have heard that you can just feed the sub into there. So, is the sub worth getting to be able to hook it up into a speaker input, considering that I am getting the sub cheap. All I want is the little extra something that will give me more bass... Let me know quick because I do not want my buddy to sell it to another person. Also, the sub wouldnt be drawing any power from my head unit because it has its own amplifier so that might help...

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It won't work without pre-outs. You need a dedicated subwoofer output or a set of normal stereo pre-outs for connecting to additional equipment. Recording outputs won't work (ie. those for connecting to tape or MD recorders) because these aren't volume controlled.

Hope this helps, a little more info on your stereo and we could provide a more definitive answer for you. :)

3. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has speaker-level connections. So, you can just plug the stereo's speaker outputs into the sub, and from the sub to the speakers. The sub will handle the crossover stuff.

Right?

Ask your buddy for the manual and see what it says. If you don't want to open the box, the manual may also be available online.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Potentially correct but if the stereo doesn't provide enough power then the whole thing will probably sound worse. When using the speaker level inputs the subwoofers internal amplifier is bypassed.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not normally so, a high level input on an active sub dosnt draw any current, jeff-o is right.

6. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your feedback. Actually, I went to best buy and we got it all straightened out. I didn't know exactly what those two things were in the back (1 red one yellow), but he said that that is what I would hook the sub into. So, thanks for all the feedback but I got it all worked out.

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't bypass the subs internal amplifier at all, its just another input method. The signal enters the sub, pass's through the crossover and then it sent out to speakers.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    When subs have high level connections the L&R input terminals can also be used alone. The sub's amplifier supplies the power to the subwoofer. The speakers are run full range as normal direct from the stereo amplifier.

The use of the sub's internal crosover is not essential. In fact for best sound quality with a decent stereo amp and speakers it is not even desirable to use the sub's crossover. As it adds extra filtration. Which may spoil the clean signal fed to the main stereo speakers.

Perfectionists will use two sets of speaker cables from the stereo amplifier speaker terminals. One pair of cables to the speakers. The other pair to the sub's input terminals. The sub's upper cut-off point can be set by the "crossover" frequency control.

Nimby

9. drdaredevil

drdaredevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    K well here's the update. My friend gave me a receiver so I am gonna connect my stereo and all that to my receiver and then the sub from the back of the receiver as well (along w/ all my speakers). It should work, but I am just a little confused on how to hook the unit to my receiver. Here's the things I see on the back:

I see two RCA receptors on the back, one red one yellow. And above it, it says LINE OUT and right next to it it says AUX / CD-R IN . DOes this mean that I can hook the RCA's to go from my unit from the red and yellow to the back of my reciever? I think so, but I just want to make sure.