1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it work, and if so which LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GavinH, Mar 7, 2005.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a flat panel display for my bedroom, so I was thinking LCD. This will be used for watching movies only so a widescreen setup is a must. I don't want anything smaller than 17", but to be honest I would like something bigger. Viewing will be straight on so any issues with being off-axis aren't really important. I'm also not too worried about the sound as I will be using something else for this. My budget for the display is no more than £1000, and I don't mind shopping around on the Internet to find a good buy.

I'd like to ask a question about the sound. I already have a HiFi system in the bedroom, with the relevant bits being an Arcam A85 amplifier and a pair of B&W CDM 1NTs. Can I use this set-up for the movie sound? I'm assuming I could use the DVD input mode and listen to movies in stereo sound...

I don't really want to get into setting up 5 extra speakers and a sub in the bedroom - so I'm ok to listen in stereo. Besides, it should be a nice enough quality sound coming from the B&Ws...

I've noticed that Toshiba have both the 26WL46 and the 27WL46 TVs. I've only had a quick look but it seems that the 27" set is cheaper. Have others found this, and if so what's the difference? Why is the larger set cheaper?

So to summarise, the most important features are picture quality, widescreen setup and size.

Cheers,

Gav

2. pryce3

pryce3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can easily play the sound through your two speakers just by connecting the phonos to your amp input. Plus the difference between the 26lw46 and the 27lw46 is that the 26 is an older but in my opinion much better model, it also has much better inputs as it has 3 scarts (2rgb), 4 composite video inputs, 2 component inputs (one Prog scan) and a sub and phono audio out.Whereas the 27lw46 has no component in one composite in 3 scarts and one non-HDCP DVI(so not sky hd complient).Plus the sound is 100 times better on the 26 and the picture is way way better.

3. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the thread on here regarding a Sonix 26" LCD TV - £499 that Sainsburys are selling..... :thumbsup:

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You might be able to find a Sharp LC-26GA3/4E for just under £1000 - you can remove the speakers on these so the thing won't look to big.

5. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

I look into the other sets you have mentioned :)

Gav