will it all work????

o O MARK O o

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, this is my first post,

I am in the middle of re-decorating and re-plastering the house and fitting my home cinema set up in the living room,

I am also networking the house as well while it is a building site,

I am putting the pc in the loft and running a phone line extension up there to a net work switch and then running all the network cable down into the house to all the devices

I have done some research and read many threads but I would like some advice to make sure I am on the right track as I have just started the work 'all DIY' with help from a family member who is an spark ,

the plan is,

1,Run a telephone extension from the master socket in hallway into the loft,

2.move the netgear router into the loft

3.plug the router into 24 port network switch

4. run cat 5 cable from the switch down into the house to network sockets

this is what I have done so far......

DSCN0591.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

I am hoping to fit,

1 socket in spare bedroom,
5 sockets in living room (x box 360, onkyo amp, bluray player, smart tv, sky hd)
1 socket in the kitchen
1 socket in the conservatory (x box)

I would also like to fit a wireless access point in the middle of the house to run a tablet (as the main pc will be living in the loft) and share files with the pc and share media with the 2 Xbox 360's

Hope all this makes sense, thanks Mark

looking good there fella however i would leave the router by the BT master and run a cat5 cable to the switch in the loft :smashin: else you could have fun with dropping your internet connection :p
while your at it add an NTE2000 faceplate to the master BT socket

looking good there fella however i would leave the router by the BT master and run a cat5 cable to the switch in the loft :smashin: else you could have fun with dropping your internet connection :p
while your at it add an NTE2000 faceplate to the master BT socket
Plus One. An Ethernet connection will be less susceptible to the electrical noise inherent in a domestic environment.

Thanks for the input guys... All this is very new to me. Just ordered a face plate off a well known auction site. I will keep the router near the the phone socket. I was a bit unsure about a phone extension lead to be honest.. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again

So its basically a built in filter (so u dont use a plug in one) with a direct cleaner connection to the test socket for the adsl?

So its basically a built in filter (so u dont use a plug in one) with a direct cleaner connection to the test socket for the adsl?

yeah basically your correct i have had a lot of success with friends and family installing these, seems to make quite a noticeable difference to the connection speed and stability of the line.
means you connect the router direct to the master and you don't need in any filters in phone extensions around the house, but to be fair these days with dect phones why do you need extensions.

this must be the new ssfp socket, i wonder how much they want to install that ??? i think i rather the older NTE2000 socket myself so people can do it themselves

Attachments

• fttc-socket.jpg
    fttc-socket.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,074
I would seriously consider the environment you expect this PC to work. Lets assume the PC is left on all the time. In the summer my loft gets to well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. You have a PC that is expected to transcode video for 2 Xboxs (Xboxes). That PC is going to get seriously hot.
You may decide to let the PC sleep when not in use. In the winter sub zero temps will cause condensation to form. Not very good with disk drives.

I would seriously consider the environment you expect this PC to work. Lets assume the PC is left on all the time. In the summer my loft gets to well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. You have a PC that is expected to transcode video for 2 Xboxs (Xboxes). That PC is going to get seriously hot.
You may decide to let the PC sleep when not in use. In the winter sub zero temps will cause condensation to form. Not very good with disk drives.

have to agree not sure i would what to leave a pc on up there all the time, the switch should be fine however, maybe consider a NAS you can leave on under the stairs or something.
A NAS would be a lot cheaper to run too

The loft is going to be insulated and plastered out . The pc is left on most of the time in the spare room so I'm hoping it should be ok in the loft room.

Going slightly off topic I am using tversity to share my media with the 2 x boxes. its not bad and is fairly reliable. But is there any more options.

Glad to hear it is a room rather than just a loft :)

Serviio is worth a try. It will transcode for the Xbox on the fly and provides some basic library features and media scrapping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom