will I see any major speed increase ...

muzzi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
if i replace my 15"mbp 2Ghz dual core, 2Gb Ram, 256Mb radeon X1600 graphics card

with the new base model 13" MBP?

I just confused regarding the graphics card really.

thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

All depends on what you're going to be doing with it. For CPU intensive work, then yes, slightly. For graphics work, then marginally. The faster DDR3 memory will help, but from stats I've seen the X1600 scores slightly higher. Remember though, that the newer models can use up to 8Gb memory, so for more memory intensive tasks you can benifit from sticking in 4Gb+ RAM

if i replace my 15"mbp 2Ghz dual core, 2Gb Ram, 256Mb radeon X1600 graphics card

Take a look at Macworld.com next week, they should have their lab benchmarks up by then.

All depends on what you're going to be doing with it. For CPU intensive work, then yes, slightly. For graphics work, then marginally. The faster DDR3 memory will help, but from stats I've seen the X1600 scores slightly higher. Remember though, that the newer models can use up to 8Gb memory, so for more memory intensive tasks you can benifit from sticking in 4Gb+ RAM

yep, but at a premium of £800 I think i'll give the 8Gb of ram a miss :rolleyes:

I just use my MBP for basics at the moment but have been known to use Adobe CS3 and Autodesk inventor & Xara via parallels when updating my portfolio.

I'm not sure there'll be too much in it, but they look so cute:D

Maybe i'll see when they become available at dixons tax free at the airports:D

from the apps you use,
i dont really think you will notice any difference,

if your running more then 2 virtual OS,
then you might slight notice difference in speed,

If i were you i would just wait till Snow Leopard is out buy that and then see how the Macbook ran before making my mind up about upgrading or not,

I put Snow Leopard on a spare Macbook and it ran much better and quicker,
it felt like i had maxed out the ram and clocked the processor,
but in reality it only had 1GB inside...

I put Snow Leopard on a spare Macbook and it ran much better and quicker,
it felt like i had maxed out the ram and clocked the processor,
but in reality it only had 1GB inside...

that's interesting. good to hear snow leopard might actually run better than leopard!

that's interesting. good to hear snow leopard might actually run better than leopard!

I don't think it's a 'might'! Snow Leopard is a true 64bit OS and they done a lot of dev work to get the most out of the components. I'm hugely interested to see how much faster my iMac is with Snow Leopard...

I don't think it's a 'might'! Snow Leopard is a true 64bit OS and they done a lot of dev work to get the most out of the components.

I'll second that...With OpenCL supported, the MacOS is about to get a boost in raw computing power. I am guessing that since nVidia is behind CUDA - which is OpenCL - their GPUs are going to be supported fully first.

It's advertised as being twice as fast as leopard as standard, but it some circumstances it is even faster. Can't remember the exact details, but they are all in the keynote presentation from the WWDC 09 conference.

So yes it will run my MBP faster, but isn't that just for opening and running apps like mail, safari etc?

It's advertised as being twice as fast as leopard as standard, but it some circumstances it is even faster. Can't remember the exact details, but they are all in the keynote presentation from the WWDC 09 conference.

So yes it will run my MBP faster, but isn't that just for opening and running apps like mail, safari etc?

hmmm. i wonder if it will be twice as fast on my macbook?! will be interesting to see. i would be very happy with that. i could also do with iphoto and imovie being a bit speedier as well as safari not being such a hog!

As I said above Macworld's tests, just root around on the site and you'll find the result for your model to compare.

am not 100% about the ilife package as i never tested that under Snow Leopard,
but Safari will support 64-bit,

so you will notice a improvement when using the browser,

i think there is a list on the apple site or dev center,
with details on which app will support x64.....

i doubt there will be anyone that doesn't see a improvement,
even finder will handle much better which opening new windows or switching between 3 or 4 windows...

same as on windows when i moved from Vista 32-bit to 64-bit i was really surprised at how much better the system handle,
my 64-bit computer is currently underclocked and runs like a dream with 64-bit technology,

another thing i heard there will be 64-bit support in boot camp also,
but not 100% if apple will ship it with Snow Leopard or not...

As I said above Macworld's tests, just root around on the site and you'll find the result for your model to compare.

just wrote a nice long summery of the results and then safari 4 crashed :rolleyes:

In a nutshell. The only identical test is the MP3 rip which now takes 65 seconds on the 13" mbp as apposed to 93 seconds on my 2Ghz dual core :eek:

I think i'll wait until Leopard to see how that improves things.

thanks

Muzzi

just wrote a nice long summery of the results and then safari 4 crashed :rolleyes:

I think i'll wait until Leopard to see how that improves things.

Re S4 - that's why I'm using OmniWeb and its very fast.

I don't know how long you've owned a Mac but most spec changes on kit yield marginal improvements and after you've seen a few you aren't too bothered to have the latest and greatest as your original is probably doing all you wanted of it, its just not got the latest go faster stripes ;)

Snow Leopard is likely to improve the performance of almost all current Intel Macs and I wouldn't bother updating until that has had its first round of bug fixes shipped.

my first mac was a second hand emac back in 2004, it was 1Ghz power pc. loved it so much i took a side step to a second hand ibook of the same spec (but without a dvd writer). This was the best purchase of my life until i got the macbook pro just over 2 years ago.

Your right tho, it wouldn't be a huge improvement for what would cost approx £400, and I'd loose 2" of screen :eek: Just talked myself out of it. Right then, onto upgrading my 2g iphone......:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom