1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I notice the difference????

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tuttonp, Mar 29, 2005.

1. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I have a Pioneer 575 DVD Player going direct to a 50hz Sony Wega CRT TV (KV28FX20). This is currently cabled using an IXOS 137AV Cable (S-Vid + 2 Phono RCA For the basic Audio - i.e when the wife wants to use it), I also have the audio going via a Digital Coax to my amp as well as via a 6 lead cable for SACD playback.

Would I see a significant difference in picture quality if I moved to an RGB SCART setup??. The TV will accept an RGB input via SCART but I'm trying to work out if with my current (and probably long term) setup if I would see an improvement in overall picture quality as the set is a. 50hz, b. CRT

Suggestions appreciated

Paul

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Marginal at best in my opinion. Going from S-Video to RGB is nowhere near the same jump as moving up from composite or RF video.

It can be very display/source dependant though, some will respond better with one method of signal transfer over another I'm afraid. :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I also have a 50Hz television but with a 32" screen. My first DVD player was an American import without RGB so was connected up by s-video whilst subsequent players have all been connected by RGB and returned a better quality of picture. Whether or not this was due to the RGB signal or an improvement in DVD player itself is a moot point though.

I would suggest trying it out with a cheap scart cable first - use the one from the VCR or whatever, temporarily and you should be able to see what difference there is between s-video and RGB on your own setup.