Will I notice difference between composite and component on non-HD TV?

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Forgive me for what may be a silly question but again I turn to you all for your advice and opinion.

I am currently displaying my PS3 via composite cables. I'll be very clear, I don't have an HD TV but it's a very nice 45" LG LCD which is capable of 1080i. I've recently bought an EP-30 HD player and having it plugged in via component cables I am (but it may just be me) noticing a huge difference in quality from my DVD player which again is composite.

Am I being too hopeful in thinking if I were to plug my PS3 in via component that the quality would increase? Thanks in advance for everyones time.

Eyewhy

I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a difference. Composite is quite possibly the worst connection u could possibly use. Component will carry a 1080i signal from your PS3 to your TV so I would deffo use it rather than composite.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
if its a 1080i tv it is a hdtv especially at 45'', so when you plug in through component you will get a hd picture, with composite an sd picture so yes the difference will be uncomparable, go and try both, you will see the difference immediately. the hd player is displaying at 1080i which is why it looks so good over component, compared to the sd dvd player over composite which is 576p (i think its 576 anyway). if the resolution of the screen is 1920x1080 or whatever, at that size it almost definetely is, 1080i is the same res as 1080p but it is interlaced instead of 1080p which is progressive, interlaced refreshes every other line every refresh, whereas progressive does every line every refresh. through component the ps3 cannot upscale dvds, it can upscale game from their native 720p, if you can- use hdmi.

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much indeed to the both of you. The decision is made, I'll get myself a component cable. I guess the next question though is, which is the best? Is the official Sony cable the best or is it just a nice excuse to charge more? Any owners out there recommend any at all?

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
no worries, not too sure about that- went down the hdmi route, but there are many options out there from a couple for quid to monster cables for however much they are, i would say put from 10 to 20 quid into them and go reputable for decent build quality, sony official are probably worth spending a bit more on, if you want to spend less then go to somewhere like game and get their brand leads, at least that way if you are unhappy you can take them back.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom