1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I need two Video cards?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by (GTV)Chris, May 28, 2002.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Great to read through all the valuable info on this site..It's really great.
    I am gathering components for my HTPC, got the case, HD etc but I need to know a little more about the graphics.
    If I go for a Haupage capture card, to put thru my SKY TV signal, will I need another graphics card to output my DVD? Maybe a Radeon or Geforce 2?
    If one will suffice will I need a lot of memory on board.

If I go for a Creative soundcard, like the live - will I also be able to output DTS to my decoder?

Downloaded all my software like, DSCALER, POWERSTRIP, and WINDVD.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you go for an upmarket radeon with an S-video input, you won't need a separate capture card, but you will need an RGB scart to s-video converter. This combo though will give you a pretty good picture as you can see here .

The only real drawback of the radeon cards at the moment is that you can't run them with dscaler (yet), but this only gives me a real problem with the Nova T card as it doesn't de-interlace at all, most sources make a reasonable job of de-interlacing, its just that dscaler would be better.

You don't need lots of memory on the graphics card.

Whether you want analogue or digital sound output, don't go for Creative cards, they really aren't much good for this sort of use. A good cheapish card is the santa cruz, which will support games as well. or if you don't want games at all, then go for an m-audio card (24/96 for digital out)

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the response....
    Oh Dear,

Ive Just bought the Radeon VE for the piccy's and a WIn TV card.
    Also bought a Creative Audigy card, which apparantly give good digital out. Or so the sales rep said!!!!!

I hope it all works or I will cry.

So will dscaler work with any of this? Is Dscaler only really needed for TV/SKY output?

Cheers

Chris

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You need to check the dscaler card list to see if it will work with your WINTV card.

You believed a sales rep! Was your brain still asleep? SB cards have an alarming tendency to resample digital signals by going through an internal D-A-D process, which is not good news if you want good sound.

This thread talks about this in detail (very great detail....), but the essence is
    If you are really REALLY keen on good sound, I suggest you go and claim your money back on grounds of misrepresentation, and buy an M-audio card like the man recommends....

On the other hand you probably need to be a bit of a hifi nut to hear the difference - my son certainly thinks I'm one :cool: