1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will I need a new AMP for hi def DVD's (Blu Ray)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by matt bellamy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have a Yamaha AMP (dont know the model number) which plays both Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES 6.1. I was wondering how the audio of the upcoming hi definition DVD's will be encoded and whether I will need to buy a new AMP to get the most out of them.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Matt,

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray have mandated Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD but standard DD and DTS decoders would still decode the basic signals and ignore the extra. DTS-HD can also provide a lossless mode and should provide the best quality sound from the new HD discs. I would expect the decoded 7.1 channels to be output from normal phonos, and the encrypted bitstream from HDMI or iLink. I guess we'll know for sure in about 12 months from now.

Steve

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I think your amp will be ok for a while yet. We're not expecting to see machines until the end of next year at least. As Steve said, even when we have 'lossless' sound, your amp will just process the standard sound.

If you want the new stuff however you'll have to pay for it :)