1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I miss my 32" Sony CRT?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by colin99, Apr 22, 2003.

1. colin99

colin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving house soon and seriously considering buying a Panasonic plasma screen.

I've seen them in the shops and experienced the wow factor but when I get home I'm quite dazzled by the brilliant picture (sharp and colourful) my Sony Wega CRT TV kicks out.

My friend has just bought a 32" Toshiba CRT and if I was moving from that set I wouldn't think twice but I do worry that I'll miss the Sony.

Can anyone who's made the jump from a high quality CRT to plasma offer any helpful advice? Maybe I just need to see a properly set-up plasma in action?

Thanks
    Colin

2. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a dilemma.

I upgraded to a Pioneer 50” last year, great to have a big screen at home. The Sony WAGA 32” was relegated to the bedroom. The plasma is fun, great for films but you get used to the screen size very quickly.

It’s more fun for visitors as a viewing experience to see a film / TV on the plasma. It’s also a very different feel to the image, plasmas just don’t have the same look as CRT sets. I still use the Sony in the bedroom a lot for watching DVD & TV, and enjoy the quality of the picture. I’ve never had any problems with the Sony TV, although it’s now clocked up over 3,000 hours the image is still sharp and bright.

As for Plasmas, I’ve seen image quality that I wouldn’t pay £ 100 for, let alone a few thousand. All the reviews said that the Pioneer was one of the better displays and I’ve been happy with picture quality. Do go out and look for yourself, I could have bought a new car for the cost of my plasma (hasn’t the cost come down quickly!). You need to make sure that you’ll be happy your new toy for some time.

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have also placed my 32" Sony Wega in the bedroom now that I have the Pioneer plasma. And yes I still enjoy the CRT and its merits. Hhowever I will definitely not go back to it. You need to make the decision for yourself but for me plasma has some key advantanges over CRT that are extremely important:

Perfect Focus:
    The plasma has perfect focus across the entire screen

No geometric distortion:
    The plasma panel's accurate cell structure produces a picture that is geometrically perfect.

Even light output:
    The plasma panel is perfectly evenly illuminated - no dark or hot spots.

No susceptibility to magnetic fields:
    The plasma panel is not affected by magnetic fields

Finally, you need to appreciate that you are watching everything on a much bigger screen which in combination with the technology involved it will show things you never notice before like certain imperfections and artifacts. In other words, the source material quality in the form of.. DVD, VHS, Digital Satellite, Digital Terrestrial, Analogue Satellite and Analogue Terrestrial has a lot to do with the picture you get on the plasma. It means a good source produces excellent results on plasma that you will never get on CRT while with a poor quality signal the plasma will highlight exactly what the problem is. Hope it helps!

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sold my 32" wega and got a panny 42" and I was also worried about the change but I have absolutely NO regrests whatsoever and I would not want to go back to a smaller screen now.

5. colin99

colin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replys.

I saw the panasonic 42" playing Attack of the Clones and it looked absolutely amazing. Then I saw the same screen with a sky digital feel and it looked awful - "flat" colours, blocky video, etc.

The pioneer 43" seemed to do a better job of displaying normal TV channels which surprised me because I generally like the panasonic much better.

One thing I did notice was that all these screens seemed to be getting a composite video signal rather than s-video or RGB.

However, if I'm honest with myself, having a large screen and perfect geometry doesn't really compensate for having a generally crappy picture when it comes to watching normal TV. So - and I'm surprising myself here - I've decided to wait until the picture quality is a "bit" closer to CRT.