1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I like PGR2??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sheks, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Not a big fan of the first PGR.

The sort of racing games I do like are (in no particular order):

- TOCA (considering getting the Live enabled one)
    - Burnout 2 (Fastest game ever IMHO)
    - Rallisport challenge
    - SEGA GT (might wait for the Live enabled version, graphically not brilliant tho)
    - GT3 on the PS2 (only reason I still own a PS2)
    - Midtown madness 3 (great on Live playing Hunter)
    - Daytona on the Dreamcast (bit twitchy at times tho)

My reasons for not really liking the first PGR IMO are:
    - I prefer racing on tracks (find the cities in PGR 1 a bit claustrophobic)
    - I found the Kudos system frustrating (losing all your points for just “kissing” a wall)
    - Being in a city there are walls everywhere (no run off areas e.g. grass)
    - The cities are lifeless (no spectators, felt like racing in ghost towns)
    - Lack of car damage (admittedly GT3 lacks this also)

I am a big racing fan tho (lost weeks of my life playing GT3s split screen, logitec force feed back wheel!!!), have owned all the TOCA’s from the PS1 days, even some of the EA F1 games on PS1 and PS2 (why no decent F1 games on the Xbox??).

I have to admit that I don’t have the time these days (an 11th month old daughter provides the long term entertainment these days) to put hours and hours in progressing through a game, I like to pick up a game and have a quick “blast”. Would I just be able to pick up PGR2 and race in some decent cars, or do I have to put in loads of hours to get anything more than a Nissan Micra??

However all this talk on the net about how great PGR2 is making me think I may like it, but people raved about the first one when that came out and I was not overly impressed.

So, should I buy PGR2, or TOCA (Live) and/or Sega GT (Live)?

I have found the reviews in magazines/on the net no help, mainly because they all liked the first PGR (and I didn’t), I must be fussy!

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Sheks

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    toca live is pretty bad to be honest but if you like the game then give it a go. You should be able to pick it up fairly cheaply. Sega GT online is not out yet so cannot comment but from what i have read is the same as sega gt 2002 with the online racing added on and a few extra cars - could be good. But the best of the bunch is pgr2 and is vastly improved from pgr. Just ask any of the xbox livers on here to find out just how good 8 player online races are.
    Single player is a good challenge too.

:smashin: