Will I have to set the timer twice with a DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pilotsnipes, May 19, 2005.

1. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks,

I'm in the market for a DVD recorder for my current TV system, but just before I go to take the plunge I have one final question for those in the "know".

Living in Ireland we have Sky and Chorus as our "digital" suppliers, I'm currently with Chorus. Fairly typical setup, as I'm sure happens with any digital suppliers in the UK, co-axial cable comes into house, into a small decoder box, and finally scart to the TV (or in my case the media box for my Panny 7).

What I want to know is, what is going to be the procedure for setting the timer for recording when I'm away from the house?

In the menu system of the chrous box (a Sagem ICD-60) is the recording menu, it allows me to select a channel and to set a start and finish time. I can do this for about 10 different programs I want to record. Now this is my question, from my own warped logic, if I get a DVD recorder, (looking at the Panasonic DRM-EH50) I'm going to have to set up those exact times again on the DVD record menu so that the recorder turns on and starts recording at the same time that my digital box turns on, and automatically switches to the channel I want to record.

This is a major pain in the ass in my opinion, I mean, if I want to record Corrie on Monday night, I have to go into the menu system for Chorus, and set the day, then set the time of 19:30 -> 20:00 on ITV, then go into the DVD recorder and set 19:30 -> 20:00 to recorde from input AV2 for example.

Do I really have to do this double amount of work? Is there any alternative, or have I just got the wrong end of the stick. It seems really tedious, to have to do it twice.

As a small side note, I intend to get the EH50 from London in the comming week or so, and I believe that the UK version is PAL-I, which from reading other topics, does not cover all the VHF range that Ireland uses. Seeing though that I'll only be using the recorder with an input from the digital chorus box and not trying to tune any channels directly with the DVD recorder, am I correct in saying I don't need to give a hoot about it?

Or should I find a way to get a european one?

Your advise (as always) from this forum is priceless, thank you for taking any time to reply.

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pilot

My understanding is that you will have to set the timer twice. Except that the panasonic recorders do have a facility called EXT link which automatically records when a signal is received from certain digiboxes, Sky boxes do this, but I'm not sure whether your cable box will do it. Talk to Chorus for more information. The down side with this, with Sky anyway, is that the signal is output from the VCR scart output which only outputs a composite video signal so recording quality is lower. Do you have Video+ in Ireland? this will make programming the EH50 easier at least, but see the next point on the tuner.

You are correct in thinking that you wont need the Tuner if you are recording solely from the Cable box. I have not used the tuner on my DVDR as I dont have an aerial feed. However, if you want to use Video+, or want to record from analogue whilst watching cable, you will need the tuner working properly.

I am not sure about the UHF range on the EH50 but my E65 does seem to only have the Ch 21-68 on it.

HTH

Wackojacko

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    For the Panasonic, what Wackojacko says is right.
    The Toshibas (XS34) can control a sat/cable box; so with this setup you set the timer only on the recorder. But you'd need to keep the cable box on to do this (the XS34 can change to the right channel on the ext box, but not turn it on/off).

And yes, if you never will want to use the analogue tuner, then the lack of VHF doesn't matter.

Mark

4. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your replys. This will be a "PITA".

As time goes by, I feel myself slipping to the dark side (Sky) in the near future....