Will I get the new Card without subscription?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by S.S.Dhuper, May 7, 2003.

1. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I've got the Amstrad Sky Digi box, I used to have a subscription with them but for the last 2 years I'm just watching the free view channels so will they send me a new card?? or just not bother with me as I've got no package with them, and if they decide not to send me a card what are my options as to keep watching the free channels, any advice will be grateful. [​IMG]

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Get yourself a FTV smartcard.

Ring 0870 243 8000 and request one or visit this site for more details......BBC FTV Site

3. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    * I rang Sky about this - I'd just downgraded to Free-to-View, and was advised I would not be getting a new card. However, about 2 weeks later one arrived ! So it must have been 'in-the-pipeline' ? Doesn't seem to be an advantage either way, though ? :confused:

* What would be the point of getting a BBC card ? One annoying thing with Sky is all the subscription channels still exist on the box (blue screen of subs info), so the channel up/down buttons are pretty useless. Anyone know of a way to delete the channels that are not required ? Presumably getting a BBC card would solve this ? But doesn't Sky Free-to-View offer a few extra channels above te standard Free-to-View ? Anyone point me to a handy ref list ?

Thanks.

4. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep hearing that these freeview cards are going to be phased out so you won't need a card for freeview. I guess we will find out sometime in the future. :confused:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I have read the some people have been able to remove all the FTV and subscription channels from the EPG after rebooting with the card in upside down, also depends upon the OS the digibox is running. Can not confirm if it is actual fact or fiction:)
    An ex SKY smartcard with just the FTV codes left on it will not access any more channels than a normal FTV smartcard sourced from the FTV service currently run by the BBC, CH4 and Five.

There is some confusion regarding the status of the FTV cards and ex-subscription cards. With the BBC going FTA will they will pull out of the FTV system and if so will CH4 and Five continue funding and supplying them. With ex-subscription cards will SKY go to the expense of replacing them, it would seem a short sighted idea not to replace them as it would just be p*****g off thousands of former subscribers who are still potentila re-subscribers but if you've had a replacement then perhaps that is going to be their approach.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You won't need a FTV card for the BBC channels, however you will still need one for ITV1, CH4 and Five until the current deal with SKY runs out and then everything is up in the air again.