Question Will I get better sound quality using a different cable?

tvb0y

Novice Member
Reaction score
If I'm playing files with AC3 or regular DTS audio, will I get better sound quality using an HDMI cable instead of an Optical? I know that HDMI will pass more formats. But if you're only using these "basic" formats that work fine with Optical, will there be a difference in the actual sound quality or should it be exactly the same?

Except in a few specific circumstances with proprietary interfaces, HDMI is generally the worst of all interfaces for digital connection.

Nick

There is a potential difference, but hard to determine if there is a real difference.

My optical out from my TV is 24b/48k, which is better than CD Quality. However, BluRay has the potential to be up to 24b/192k. Though just because the potential exists, doesn't mean they deliver it on the disc.

What are you sources? Computer? TV? Cable Box? Other?

If it is a DVD/BluRay Player, than I would suggest HDMI to the TV, and Digital Optical out of the TV.

Also, HDMI will cover all Multi-channel (5.1, etc...) format. In my case, the TV Digital Optical Out only supports Stereo (to the best of my knowledge).

So, it depends on what you are connecting where and why. I don't think we can make a constructive comment without more details.

Steve/bluewizard

There is a potential difference, but hard to determine if there is a real difference.

My optical out from my TV is 24b/48k, which is better than CD Quality. However, BluRay has the potential to be up to 24b/192k. Though just because the potential exists, doesn't mean they deliver it on the disc.

What are you sources? Computer? TV? Cable Box? Other?

If it is a DVD/BluRay Player, than I would suggest HDMI to the TV, and Digital Optical out of the TV.

Also, HDMI will cover all Multi-channel (5.1, etc...) format. In my case, the TV Digital Optical Out only supports Stereo (to the best of my knowledge).

So, it depends on what you are connecting where and why. I don't think we can make a constructive comment without more details.

Steve/bluewizard

I'm playing movies from a Popcorn Hour A-110 media player. It's currently connected to my TX-NR626 receiver via HDMI, and the receiver is connected to the TV with another HDMI as well as to 5.1 speakers.

Up until today I had the Popcorn connected to the receiver via Optical and then Popcorn to TV with HDMI. I changed everything to HDMI because I wanted to be able to play files using audio types that wouldn't go through Optical, so I was wondering if there would be any difference in sound quality when using Optical vs HDMI.

Last edited:
Up until today I had the Popcorn connected to the receiver via Optical and then Popcorn to TV with HDMI. I changed everything to HDMI because I wanted to be able to play files using audio types that wouldn't go through Optical, so I was wondering if there would be any difference in sound quality when using Optical vs HDMI .

I don't see why you feel the need to seek opinions since you have every thing in place for you to find out for yourself and form your own opinion.
So since you have made the change, why don't you listen and tell us what you think.

I don't see why you feel the need to seek opinions since you have every thing in place for you to find out for yourself and form your own opinion.
So since you have made the change, why don't you listen and tell us what you think.

To me it sounds a little better but it's not so significant that it could just be placebo effect. So I wanted to ask if there should be a difference in quality between different cables, or if it's a grey area.

Personally speaking - Grey area and a subject that can be very subjective. Some will say there is and its clear as night and day. While others say no for whatever reasons they have.

Now i'm not saying they don't make a difference because they can in certain cirmcumstances but for me, I've heard nothing in the realms of night and day difference

quick answer is NO - you don't.
if you try to play anything outside of the capabilities of your optical, then you get no sound.
HDMI can pass through anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom