Will I get 1080p if I connect my XBOX360 with VGA to a Sony X2000?

TVowner

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony X2000 with a non-HDMI port XBOX360. Will I get 1080p if I connect it with VGA cables?

I have the same set.
The best you can get is 1080i.
If you want to get 1080p, you will have to get a HDMI Xbox360 :thumbsdow or loop it through a upscaling 1080p amp if you've got one.

I have the same set.
The best you can get is 1080i.
If you want to get 1080p, you will have to get a HDMI Xbox360 :thumbsdow or loop it through a upscaling 1080p amp if you've got one.

Erm, I don't think that's quite right. I've got the Sony W2000, which is the model down from the X and I'm running my Xbox at 1080p via VGA.

VGA is a progressive only cable, interlaced signals cannot be carried by VGA.

More info can be found in the Xbox FAQ

Ditto if you try to connect via Component.
I have that set & the only 1080p input is HDMI. On my 40" there's little to no difference between 1080p & 1080i so I connect my Elite via Component as my 2 HDMI's are taken up by PS3 & PC. There is a joytech HDMI splitter available for about £30 though if you need it.

Erm, I don't think that's quite right. I've got the Sony W2000, which is the model down from the X and I'm running my Xbox at 1080p via VGA.

VGA is a progressive only cable, interlaced signals cannot be carried by VGA.

More info can be found in the Xbox FAQ

The X and W are near enough the same panels, but for some reason Sony disabled 1920 x 1080 in the X panel. I have the W panel and can get 1920 x 1080 going via VGA, but I have read other posts in these forums that people with the X panel cannot!

It isn't officially supported by Sony anyway....why do you think we get the little message on the bottom right hand corner of the TV saying 'Unsupported Resolution/Signal' every time you turn your 360 on? I cant work out why Sony disabled this feature when the native res of the panel is 1920 x 1080 anyway!?!

2 HDMI's are taken up by PS3 & PC.

Wait what? HDMI ...PC? You can connect a PC trough HDMI? Could you tell me more about that please?

As for the other 2 persons who replied, thanks. Yeah I don't feel like spending another 450$ on an Elite just to get 1080p as I already have a preminium XBOX360 that works great.

How does exactly HDMI splitters and 1080p amp works?

Wait what? HDMI ...PC? You can connect a PC trough HDMI? Could you tell me more about that please?

As for the other 2 persons who replied, thanks. Yeah I don't feel like spending another 450$ on an Elite just to get 1080p as I already have a preminium XBOX360 that works great.

How does exactly HDMI splitters and 1080p amp works?

Here are some 1080p AV amps to look at and read up on.

I also think some of the new ATI graphics cards have HDMI out as well.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...view&imageType=Main&category=HFC+Receiver#tab

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=340

All the newer ATi cards (HD2xxx series) have native HDMI support, some companies who make cards for nvidia also put HDMI support on their cards, leadtek is the most obvious one.

some of the more recent nvidia graphics cards have hdmi as well as dvi

Yup, I picked up a geforce 8400 (lowest spec of the 8000 series) as the DVI port is HDCP enabled (which you need to go through to HDMI) for around £30 - works a treat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom