1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I enjoy SACD/DVDA?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by troymcclure, Feb 29, 2004.

1. troymcclure

troymcclure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know it's a stupid question that only I can answer but I just want opinions based on the following comments before I splash out and buy a few discs only to be disappointed. I'm about to buy the Denon-2900:-

Went to the Bristol show and listened to a Clapton performance in the Mission room (I think?). O.K. this was a video DVD but my thoughts are still valid to SACD/DVDA. I hated it. Each to their own but when a guitar solo, for example, came from behind me I found it un-natural. Maybe that's because I've only listened to 2-channel up to now and the many concerts I've been to over the years the sound has always come at me from the front.

But I do have some DVD video music discs that I love (Rammstein - Live Aus Berlin is a favourite). I think maybe the difference is that these produce an all enveloping sound where I can't pin-point specific instruments.

So I guess my question is whether SACD/DVDA generally sound like an all enveloping sound or guitar behind left, drums behind right, vocals somewhere else etc.

Make any sense? Or are some mastered one way and some the other.

troy

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The only true way to find out is to suck it and see:)
    I tend to only listen to my sacd's in stereo as my surrounds aren't really up to the job. There are quite a number of good sacd discs that i have purchased - more for the better quality sound than the gimicky surround nonsence found on some discs. The dark side of the moon sacd is very good in multi channel but all the others i have tried aren't all that good imo.
    I have all of peter gabriels back catalogue which I have found to be quite an improvement over the normal cd's. The best of Aerosmith and feeder comfort in sound are my current fav discs:)

3. troymcclure

troymcclure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord eh? That reminds me, it must be a couple of years since I last played Levitation. Must dig it out.

Dark Side of the Moon is a good example. I'd forgotten about that. I heard this at AV-Sales when demoing the Denon and didn't like it at all. I think I'd love it if I was stoned but at 3:00 in the afternoon on a work day I found the sound wooshing around me disconcerting. Liked the REM "Automatic FTP" though.

Interesting you mention Peter Gabriel. One of the Bristol exhibitors was playing a live Peter Gabriel DVD video and I really enjoyed it although I don't have any albums. Think I'll try and find out what it was and buy it.

Hadn't even considered the better quality of stereo sound. Interesting point.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the quality of the SACD and DVD-A (Varying qualities) in stereo justifies the formats. I tried the surround tracks and they were alright as a gimmick but in most cases i'd stick to stereo.
    However for example: Dark side of the moon - Try it in surround with no lights on (Possibly candles) sitting in silence with your eyes closed and a cool beer/wine etc In certain situations the surround mixes really work.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It was Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live"

(featured in the Denon demo room)

I bought it last week after I heard the demo and must say I love it.

BUT I am like Troy - I prefer my music in stereo - at least on my setup which isn't anything as good as the Denon show kit. :(

6. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sitting in silence? I prefer the volume up.....

:smashin:

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think it's clear what I meant, well it was in my head now I read it I forgot to mention pushing the play button....

8. troymcclure

troymcclure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread has cost me a fortune. I'll be buying "Growing Up Live" thanks to Nobber22 and "Dark Side of the Moon" too after bobbypunks comments.

That image of lounging in the dark with a nice glass of wine listening to my new toy has prompted me to order a LA-Z-BOY too.

troy

p.s. Are some albums released on both SACD and DVD-A? If so which to get? And how common are these hybrid disks I've read about which I'll then be able to play in the car too I assume?

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Some sacd's are dual layer so you have the normal cd recording on there too so playing these discs in your car shouldn't be a problem:)

I hope the back catalogue of hawkwind gets released soon (well at least the non compilations) on sacd. Listening to live chronicals in multichannel would roll back time and put me right back in the concert at Rock City (Nottingham) all those years ago:D

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on www.play.com if you search CD title as SACD it brings up hybrids if you actually search SACD it brings up normal SACD.
    Things that appear on certain formats are down to record labels so if it appears on one at the momment that is the only one. In fact it means most bands will always be on the same format!

I'll help you spend some more now:
    Norah jones - "come away with me" SACD
    REM - "Best of" DVD-A
    Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi battles The pink Robots" DVD-A
    Eagles - "Hotel California" DVD-A

11. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3