Will I do any damage if…

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kroc_kroc, Aug 27, 2006.

1. kroc_kroc

kroc_kroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    …I just listen with the 2 fronts and a centre without rears at the moment.Movies sound amazing with just these 3 speakers while I'm waiting to afford decent rears. I can still select all the 5.1 options and they all play but I'm worried I'll do some damage if the amp is being forced to output to something hta'snot there ie outputing to 5.1 when as I said I only have the fronts and centre connected?

Also, for the rears I was thinking of getting some MA Radius but has anyone got any suggestions if I was to go for a brand like M&K? Would they be worth the extra money? Also someone metioned the best quality rears I could get (because I can't get anything to big due to space) would be speakers from a company called Totem – is this a good suggestion?

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Won't be a problem at all.:thumbsup:

Try and match the rears to the front and centre cos you may have trouble getting them to sound right if you mix and match brands and types.

3. kroc_kroc

kroc_kroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that my amp is a yam dsp z9 but hopefully that's not going to make a difference.

Any other suggestions about the rears would be great.As you're probably aware the GRFX have ceased to be. They are the only speakers I would have gone out of my way to accomadate. I'm open to any suggestions now. Basically i would like a small pair of rears with a big sound that willfit in with my set up – see sig below.

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    That is a nice amp.:thumbsup:

If you run the auto set up it will detect that no rears are present so will route the lot through the fronts and centre.

I don't know what to suggest for the rears except that your probably best sticking with MA's.:smashin:

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    BFX or SFX....or if you can afford them GSFX :)

only way to go with the Gold setup ;)

heh

altho if its mostly movies then it isnt quite such a worry if your hearing isnt overly accurate....mine is and i couldnt stand mismatching drivers....lol

the MK tripoles i understand give a wonderfully diffuse sound....but then i reckon the new GSFX wouldnt be half bad at that given what they look like....but then i dont know for certain.....