• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Will I care if it's 720p or 1080p at 15'?

johnnyAudVid

Standard Member
Been looking at the great buys out there and wanted to get a plasma because I like the blacks and because they're cheaper. I currently have a 720p/1080i sony rear projection, 50".

I sit about 15 feet few inches, close to 16 at some parts, others are closer. If I get a 50" Panasonic 720p will I be missing something *visually* as in I can tell with the human eye, that will make me think I should have gotten 1080p?

I want to use the tv for regular television, hd tv, video games, movies.

Thank you for any help. BTW, I've seen the charts but I wanted to know what real people think. Also, I wish I could afford more than 50" as my room will certainly accomodate more. I'd buy projection but for everyday tv watching it's not appropriate.

thanks again.

Stormpilot

I assume you are thinking of the HD ready(720) X20 from panasonic which is retailing in the mid 500s at the moment. You can buy the LG350 for the same price and it is 1080.
Personally you are paying over the odds for the panasonic brand in my mind.

To answer your question, it also depends on your eyesight but I suspect as you hint, you are not going to notice it that much as you move further away from the tv you lose resolution. The best advice is to pace out your distances at your local tv seller

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
At 15 - 16 feet I would be very surprised if you would be able to tell the difference unless you have bionic vision :D:)

YellowSphere

Unlikely, but there are often other specifications which improve as you go up the range which may also be good things to have, e.g. THX certification, HD tuners, online options, connectivity etc.

bonzobanana

Unless you use a home cinema system all the time one consideration is sound quality. At your viewing distance you'd want to have respectable sound so I wouldn't go the LG route as some of those have weaker sound than the opposition.

720p panels tend to be more robust and less prone to problems. Their easier to make basically.

At 15 feet you are basically at the borderline between seeing any benefit between an interlace standard definition image and an ed resolution display.

So you should forget about resolution and concentrate on other features.

YellowSphere

Unless you use a home cinema system all the time one consideration is sound quality. At your viewing distance you'd want to have respectable sound so I wouldn't go the LG route as some of those have weaker sound than the opposition.
I don't agree with this whatsoever, LG have some of the best sound of any manufacturer out there at the moment compared to other models of similar prices, in my opinion (except for slim models, where the laws of physics dictate that all TVs sound horrible).

bonzobanana

I don't agree with this whatsoever, LG have some of the best sound of any manufacturer out there at the moment compared to other models of similar prices, in my opinion (except for slim models, where the laws of physics dictate that all TVs sound horrible).

Well all I can say is a couple of months ago I was looking at reviews of LG sets and testing them in shops and came away with a wholly negative view of LG sound. All the sets were slim though because I think thats all LG seem to do at the bottom and mid range of plasma sets that were current at the time which I guess will still be the current models. All of the models looked at though were very thin, certainly thinner than their competitors. There may well be better sounding sets higher up the range but what I was looking at was mid range and below. You certainly won't convince me those models had good sound thats for sure. Thats not to say the opposition were miles better though but they were better. Sound is one of those things that seems to have gone downhill from the CRT days when sets had built in subwoofers for example.

YellowSphere

Well all I can say is a couple of months ago I was looking at reviews of LG sets and testing them in shops and came away with a wholly negative view of LG sound. All the sets were slim though because I think thats all LG seem to do at the bottom and mid range of plasma sets that were current at the time which I guess will still be the current models. All of the models looked at though were very thin, certainly thinner than their competitors. There may well be better sounding sets higher up the range but what I was looking at was mid range and below. You certainly won't convince me those models had good sound thats for sure. Thats not to say the opposition were miles better though but they were better. Sound is one of those things that seems to have gone downhill from the CRT days when sets had built in subwoofers for example.
Agreed sound is downhill across the board, and I personally wouldn't consider the sound from pretty much any TV (maybe top end Philips or outrageous stuff like Loewe/B&O) acceptable for even basic television watching. Still reckon LGs sound better than pretty much everybody else these days though when comparing equivalents. Generally the sound for LG gets worse higher up the range (built in speakers considered less important?). Sound more subjective than picture, to be fair.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
No, but as the other guys said, there are other things to consider. the ability to 1:1 map with 1080p sources is a particular bonus.

Last edited:

bonzobanana

Agreed sound is downhill across the board, and I personally wouldn't consider the sound from pretty much any TV (maybe top end Philips or outrageous stuff like Loewe/B&O) acceptable for even basic television watching. Still reckon LGs sound better than pretty much everybody else these days though when comparing equivalents. Generally the sound for LG gets worse higher up the range (built in speakers considered less important?). Sound more subjective than picture, to be fair.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Different experiences I suppose. Strange that LG have even worse sound higher up the range. Thats normally when sound gets better though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom