Will I benefit from a graphics card (PCI) for video editing

OneDesi

Well-known Member
HI

I have the following PC which uses Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard graphics processor. The PC only has PCI slots no AGP slots or PCI express etc.http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/pdf/5982-3652EEE.pdf

What I want to know is will I benefit from a graphics card upgrade and if so what should I buy - main use will be to do some video editing (trying to find some software for that as well - is Pinnacle any good?)

Any advice gratefully received :thumbsup:
 

djmetsandy

Active Member
gsrai said:
HI

I have the following PC which uses Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard graphics processor. The PC only has PCI slots no AGP slots or PCI express etc.http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/pdf/5982-3652EEE.pdf

What I want to know is will I benefit from a graphics card upgrade and if so what should I buy - main use will be to do some video editing (trying to find some software for that as well - is Pinnacle any good?)

Any advice gratefully received :thumbsup:

my girlfriend recommends adobe premier! looks pretty good wen i watched her use it! As for the graphic card, the faster the card the faster the processing of your video..also depending on your monitor size...i use a Geforce 6800XT 512MB on a 32" LCD tv...has no problem running high graphic software..usually you do not want to be using on board graphics for these sort of applications as they are built for general use...i.e. word processing...just buy a cheap 128 or 256mb AGP graphic card on ebay...

hope this helped!

Andy!
 

mjn

Distinguished Member
djmetsandy said:
my girlfriend recommends adobe premier! looks pretty good wen i watched her use it!

Its also about £800 to buy! But they do a lite version as well.

djmetsandy said:
just buy a cheap 128 or 256mb AGP graphic card on ebay...

And he doesn't have AGP, only PCI. His best bet is to trawl ebay for the fastest PCI card you can find, and it'll be cheap!
 

OneDesi

Well-known Member
DJMETSANDY - thanks for the advice chap, I've heard adobe is good but as MJN says that's a lot of wedge for some home movies. Your point on the graphics card makes sense so I reckon ebay it is (thanks MJN) for a PCI card.

Cheers guys
 

djmetsandy

Active Member
gsrai said:
DJMETSANDY - thanks for the advice chap, I've heard adobe is good but as MJN says that's a lot of wedge for some home movies. Your point on the graphics card makes sense so I reckon ebay it is (thanks MJN) for a PCI card.

Cheers guys


girlfriend bought a copy of it off ebay for £12..looked authentic...??:confused: it works perfectly anyway!
 
J

jidh007

Guest
If it was 12 i'd imagine it was either the lite version or pirated.
For PCI cards used in video editing, as already said, best bet is just to trawl ebay for a decent PCI one. Good thing about it being PCI is that it'll be very cheap :)
 

andrew1810

Active Member
The GeForce 6200 was the best PCI card when I was looking around

I went for a Radeon 9250 in the end as it didn't have a fan and it has been working well

PCI versions are often more expensive than the comparible AGP/PCI-E version.
 

OneDesi

Well-known Member
Should I be looking at 64/128/256MB cards - there's a few on ebay but I am so out of touch with computer bits since I got my laptop a few years ago.

Would anybody have any specific advice (please)
 

mjn

Distinguished Member

mjn

Distinguished Member

OneDesi

Well-known Member
mjn said:
Got any links to the ones you've been looking at?

there is a 6800ultra PCI here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GForce-6800-Ultra-XFX-PCI-Graphic-Card_W0QQitemZ300013487800QQihZ020QQcategoryZ67864QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and there some decent Matrox cards, which have excellent image quality.

I've just done a search on ebay and equated more memory with better card (being the simpleton I am). From experience of old I've looked at ATI/GeForce 5500/5700/6200/9250 etc.

I'm just really confused :confused:

I reckon I will but the Ulead V10 videosuite software as it seems to get a good write up but finding a list on PCI cards is a tad difficult (I suppose technology has moved on a lot)

There is a 64mb card on ebay for £20 ATI Radeon 7000 64MB (just missed a creative labs Radeon 9200SE help :lease: )
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom